X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new scottish DNA study

Here is a new DNA study which says that the scots are much more diverse than previously thought. Interesting but is it the facts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/au...-study-project
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the article:

"Not every analysis of DNA has delivered welcome results. DNA analysis on [Alistair] Moffat himself – a proud Scottish Borders man – showed that his ancestry was English. "We don't offer counselling for that," he said."

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve long been aware that my Scottish ancestors had an English connection (going back to King David I).
    What horrifies an Afrikaner is to learn that he has English blood – and sometimes English-speaking South Africans are horrified at Afrikaner connections.
    Myself, I’m such a mixture that nothing will surprise me.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not see how this surprises anyone. The Romans manned Hadrian's Wall for how long. The Roman's gathered legions from all its territories. It is also understand that these legionaries were celibate during their enlistments. Having spent many years along the wall how many took their discharge in the area of the wall and started a family.
    Last edited by Friday; 19th August 12 at 02:31 PM.
    If you see abbreviations, initials or acronyms you do not know the Xmarks FAQ section on abbreviations may help.

www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/faq.php?faq=xmarks_faq#faq_faq_abbr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    It is also understand that these legionaries were celibate during their enlistments.
    If you're equating "celibate" with "unmarried" I would agree.

Having spent many years along the wall how many took their discharge in the area of the wall and started a family.
    I daresay there were a LOT of "discharges" in the area, as the occupiers did tend to regard the locals as barbarians and thus not requiring the same treatment mandated toward citizens of Rome. . .
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This article that I posted in another thread gives greater detail of the study - http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman...tory-1-2465715 .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my DNA done last Spring. It came up clean, no English and nothing else untoward. I'm a Celt from waaaay back. Not an original inhabitant of Scotland, but we moved there in about 500 AD and stayed a good 1200 years until folks had enough of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They certainly were not celibate. Just reading Moffat's book on the Wall, and toward later years, they were apparently allowed to marry, also

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old story about that:

A young monk sat in the scriptorium, day after day, copying out the scriptures and rules in beautiful handwriting using a dip pen and ink. One day, he asked the Abbot: "We copy these out all the time, but we copy from other copies made years ago by other monks. Has anybody ever looked at the originals?"

The old Abbot said, "Yes, I'm sure they have, but certainly not in my life time, or in that of my predecessors. Do you think it would be wise?" ...and then turning thoughtfully, he went down the stairs to the basement where the originals were kept.

After a long time, the brothers heard a loud wail of anguish from below, and running to the basement to see what was wrong, they found the old Abbot sitting at a table with the ancient scripts open before him, his arms folded on the table, and his head in his arms sobbing and wailing loudly as his shoulders shook.

All horrified, they asked him "What's the matter?"

The old man slowly lifted his head, showing his tear-stained face, and with a look of despair, he said, "The word is celebrate!"
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you keep going with the regressive questions, you come to realize it is turtles all the way down.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River_terrapin.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	8280
    LitTrog: Bah. You guys with your "knowledge" and "talents." Always taking the legs out from under my ignorant nincompoopery.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast