X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can imagine that people in countries outwith Scotland will be curious about a type of clothing that they are not familiar with but to then enquire about what, if any, underwear is being worn is nothing short of impertinent rudeness. To be honest, the only question I have ever been asked is "What tartan is that?" which seems perfectly reasonable . In addition, British people are generally far too polite and reserved to ask anyone a question of such a personal and intimate nature. On the rare occasions that I have worn a kilt south of the border the only comment I can recall was the photographer at a wedding saying "All the men in skirts" to be photographed with the bride at a wedding. He was fortunate in that no drink had yet been taken or his tripod might have been forcibly inserted where the sun don't shine!
    Last edited by Phil; 4th September 12 at 03:38 AM.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to be about as polite as the questioner. But let's face, it is inherently an impolite question, if asking about the person being asked, and not kilties in general. Rude or challenging questions/comments get rude/challenging answers. The one thing I never do is actually answer. I know. Michele knows. G-d knows. No one else needs to know.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been kilted for more than a few months, and the only questions I have to answer have come from wife. At first it was "Are you gay? If you are, it's okay. I just want to know." My answer was appropriate and not too polite. But like all people, the more they are exposed, the more comfortable they become. A couple of weeks ago, I came home from work, put on my kilt and sat down next to my wife at the counter bar to eat. She was in a dress and asked me if I was wearing underwear. I said yes. I think she was dissapointed because she then proceeded to flash me and say "I'm not." God love her! And I think she has swayed my way. Now if I can just convince her to allow me to order that Campbell tank I want.
    Last edited by Spinnaker; 4th September 12 at 08:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    In my rather long time in kilt wearing I have never been asked the "question" and the last time I met the skirt question would have been in about 1951 in the school play ground where the question was answered with a biff on the nose.

I find that visitors are very polite and very interested in the tartan, why the kilt is worn at the height that we wear it at and, are'nt you cold?------those are the top three questions. As the questions are, in my experience, always asked respectfully and with almost always a smile I have absolutely no hesitation in answering with a smile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    The trick is to work out in a few milliseconds, what their intention is. Is it benign or are they out to make you the victim of their wit.

Genuine interest can happen to anyone at any age. The human animal is curious by nature and people will ask questions. Questions should be answered at the same level at which they are asked. Smiling, when answering, is always good.

On the other hand, I treat malicious questions as a verbal assault and will respond in kind. I turn the conversation, so that we are not talking about me but are talking about him.

Me: I'm straight - Please don't come on to me. (At this point he can walk away with only a little loss of face. If he doesn't walk away, his world is about to implode).
    Him: I am not coming on to you.
    Me: THEN WHY ARE YOU SO INTERESTED IN MY DICK? IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WANT TO TELL US ALL, OR ARE YOU GOING TO COME OUT TO YOUR FRIENDS FIRST?

The damage is now done and there is no way he can recover from it. All his protestations come to nothing. I am not saying it is nice or polite or proper, but maybe, just maybe he will think twice before having a go at a random stranger.

*Please, no one think that this gay-bashing - it is not. It is a way of dealing with straight, young men, who have consumed too much alcohol.*

Smile and fight fire with fire.

Regards

Chas

Hahahahaha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
    I haven't been kilted for more than a few months, and the only questions I have to answer have come from wife. At first it was "Are you gay? If you are, it's okay. I just want to know." My answer was appropriate and not too polite. But like all people, the more they are exposed, the more comfortable they become. A couple of weeks ago, I came home from work, put on my kilt and sat down next to my wife at the counter bar to eat. She was in a dress and asked me if I was wearing underwear. I said yes. I think she was dissapointed because she then proceeded to flash me and say "I'm not." God love her! And I think she has swayed my way. Now if I can just convince her to allow me to order that Campbell tank I want.
    I wish you luck in your endeavor concerning the Campbell tank . And your Mrs sounds like a great woman.
    [COLOR=#000000]Teàrlach MacDhòmhnaill[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]Missouri State Commissioner - Clan Donald USA[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I can imagine that people in countries outwith Scotland will be curious about a type of clothing that they are not familiar with but to then enquire about what, if any, underwear is being worn is nothing short of impertinent rudeness. To be honest, the only question I have ever been asked is "What tartan is that?" which seems perfectly reasonable . In addition, British people are generally far too polite and reserved to ask anyone a question of such a personal and intimate nature. On the rare occasions that I have worn a kilt south of the border the only comment I can recall was the photographer at a wedding saying "All the men in skirts" to be photographed with the bride at a wedding. He was fortunate in that no drink had yet been taken or his tripod might have been forcibly inserted where the sun don't shine!
    In my opinion, Americans are, at least the last couple of generations, a bit rude when it comes to things of that nature. Most of the questions that I have fielded have come from people my own age or younger (I am 43). Older people at work just sort of look or ask if I am Irish or Scot or why I am wearing it (gives me a chance to talk about Scotland....lol).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    I try to be about as polite as the questioner. But let's face, it is inherently an impolite question, if asking about the person being asked, and not kilties in general. Rude or challenging questions/comments get rude/challenging answers. The one thing I never do is actually answer. I know. Michele knows. G-d knows. No one else needs to know.
    I think I shall add that to my things to say, "My wife knows, God knows but I'm not sure you need to know." Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only been asked the question twice now but "a gentleman never tells" worked well both times.

As far as the skirt comment I have been working on saying "it is not a skirt, it is a schkeeirt" in my best Sean Connery accent which is terrible and is bound to confuse.

I did have a woman say she liked my purse. She then asked the correct name for it and how to spell it.
    Last edited by McElmurry; 4th September 12 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    In my rather long time in kilt wearing I have never been asked the "question" and the last time I met the skirt question would have been in about 1951 in the school play ground where the question was answered with a biff on the nose.

I find that visitors are very polite and very interested in the tartan, why the kilt is worn at the height that we wear it at and, are'nt you cold?------those are the top three questions. As the questions are, in my experience, always asked respectfully and with almost always a smile I have absolutely no hesitation in answering with a smile.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast