X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob,

I would like to say at the outset, congratulations on your purchase of a kilt in the very smart, Macpherson dress tartan (also known as the "Macpherson of Cluny" tartan). I have seen it worn by many of my fellow Macphersons, to include my Chief, Sir William Alan Macpherson of Cluny and Blairgowrie, both here in the US, and abroad at various Clan Macpherson events, to include our annual gathering and rally in that beautiful part of Scotland known as Badenoch - from whence we (Macphersons) all came.

From personal experience and in accordance with traditions amongst the Clan Macpherson men, to include Cluny, the majority of Macpherson men wear "Argyll" style hose in the Macpherson dress tartan colours in order to match the tartan of the kilt as best as possible. This is by far, the vast majority when men are kilted in the Macpherson dress tartan, which is typically reserved for formal, evening events only - think black-tie events. I have seen a few Macpherson men within the clan wearing plain claret or maroon hose with the Macpherson dress tartan, since many of the woven setts today contain the double magenta stripes. However, my Macpherson dress tartan has double scarlet stripes, which is actually the original colours approved by Ewen Macpherson of Cluny, or "Old Cluny," the chief of the Clan Macpherson from the mid-nineteenth century until his death in 1885. Old Cluny submitted his sample of the Macpherson dress tartan (as well as the famous Macpherson 'hunting' tartan, or the breacan glas, "the grey plaid of Cluny.") to Wilson's of Bannockburn.

So, my recommendation would be "Argyll" style hose made in the Macpherson dress tartan colours to match your kilt, with flashes in either yellow to match the single yellow stripe of the tartan, or in claret, to match the double magenta stripes of the tartan. Scarlet flashes would work just as well too, as that is what I typically choose to wear, yet I am also matching to the double scarlett stripes in my version of the Macpherson dress tartan. Cluny wears scarlet flashes with his "Argyll" style hose the majority of the time. As far as footwear is concerned, plain black shoes would look far better than the "Ghillie" brogues, in my opinion. I prefer the bar and buckle brogues that have silver buckles attached to the toes and are designed in the "Mary Jane" style in order to show more of the design and colour of the "Argyll" style hose, or plain hose if one chooses to wear.

Here are a few visual examples of Macpherson men (to include Cluny and Clan Macpherson Chieftains) wearing the Macpherson dress tartan at several Clan Macpherson events:

Best of luck!
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 10th September 12 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    If matching Argyle hose are not an option, then I suggest you wear claret hose. Bar buckle brogues would be better, IMO, but well-polished black leather dress shoes should work fine. I would pass on the Ghillie Brogues. I don't wear tartan flashes, and would probably wear the dark red ones that I wear with all my hose. You might choose yellow or claret.

One question that might help guide our responses- Is your kiltwearing "to humor the stepdaughter" or do you intend to wear the kilt after this event? A nice evening outfit can be pricey (but if done right, you'll never have to buy twice), but if you're meaning just to get through this wedding there are ways to economize.
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 10th September 12 at 06:01 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    Why?
    Tartan flashes just aren't worn by Highland Scots, according to our native Highlanders on this forum. So if one were going to wear this outfit to a black-tie event in Scotland and wanted to not look like a tourist, tartan flashes should be avoided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    Why? What is this length factor based?
    Friday - They tend to flap around. Walking or a little bit of breeze, there is this flapping going on. Simply folding them over, to reduce the length by an inch makes all the difference to the look.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Tartan flashes just aren't worn by Highland Scots, according to our native Highlanders on this forum. So if one were going to wear this outfit to a black-tie event in Scotland and wanted to not look like a tourist, tartan flashes should be avoided.
    I completely agree. I have attended many Clan Macpherson related events and functions in Scotland, and I have never seen tartan flashes worn with day or evening attire.
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 10th September 12 at 06:35 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12