X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    It seems that some, perhaps many, US citizens seem rather more relaxed about "honouring their ancestors military career".
    Jock , I respect your opinions here on this forum and I always look forward to your advice and knowledge . However , you are dead wrong on this last statement .

There is no shortage of US citzens honoring their ancestor's military career , as a matter of fact , that honoring runs just as deep and far reaching here in the US as it does in the UK.

The majority of us ( regardless of what you see in the media ) observe the same reverence , respect and honor of our ancestor's military careers as well as the current military with great appreciation and respect for the past .

When speaking on being relaxed about respecting ancestor's military careers .... there are just as many examples of that in the UK as there are in the US .

No offense meant here at all , I will always value your input , but with all due respect , I think you are incorrect with your last statement .
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGumerait View Post
    Jock , I respect your opinions here on this forum and I always look forward to your advice and knowledge . However , you are dead wrong on this last statement .

There is no shortage of US citzens honoring their ancestor's military career , as a matter of fact , that honoring runs just as deep and far reaching here in the US as it does in the UK.

The majority of us ( regardless of what you see in the media ) observe the same reverence , respect and honor of our ancestor's military careers as well as the current military with great appreciation and respect for the past .

When speaking on being relaxed about respecting ancestor's military careers .... there are just as many examples of that in the UK as there are in the US .

No offense meant here at all , I will always value your input , but with all due respect , I think you are incorrect with your last statement .
    I think that you may be misunderstanding me and that is my fault for not making myself clear, for which I apologise.

Let me make it quite clear from the start that I fully understand that the military history of US forces and individual families part in that history is rightly held in high esteem by those families there is no question to doubt that. That goes for any nation in the world too, even nations that happened to be on the loosing side can have pride in their armed forces and it follows that families are indeed proud of individuals that served too.

We also, amongst that pride, have to be realistic enough to recognise that even the best of Services have less than perfect moments and individual humans are, well, human and fail too -----------, but having recognised that uncomfortable, for some, fact I shall not persue this line of thought further-------.

By saying that the US citizens seem to be " more relaxed about honouring there ancestors military career", I did not in anyway mean that Americans were any less proud of their past and present military and any one who reads some of the threads here can see that pride coming through, big style. No different to the UK.

What I meant by "relaxed" is in the use of military insignia, by members of the general US public to "celebrate" their ancestors past. We in the UK are not so "relaxed" about the use of these items here. Now in my original post I did say that some members of the US services DO have members within it that have views similar to Britain and the Commonwealth and are far from "relaxed" over these matters. So we two nations just have different ways of celebrating the very same thing and it is true we do. This thread demonstrates it perfectly. We have an American, who sees no problem in putting a cap badge in a bonnet to celebrate an ancestors part in his military service, albeit in a different country's army. We have two members who come from a different culture and service who do see problems with this action. It is just one of those things.

In passing we in the UK might put the cap badge along with the ancestors medals and perhaps a photograph in a picture frame to display proudly a family members past, or more likley, these things would be kept in a safe place in the bottom drawer to be brought out for the family to view from time to time.

However, I did not say in my post and would not ever say, to anyone, of any nation, that we in the UK are any more proud of our military and an individual families part in that history than any other nation or family. I hope, I really hope, this post clears up any of your doubts and concerns on this matter.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd September 12 at 02:38 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My late mother once wanted me to wear my father's medals from WW2 to church on remembrance sunday (in the West of Ireland), which she felt they could be worn on the left lapel rather than on the side the veteran would display them. I revere my father's war service in N Africa, Italy and Germany with the Royal Artillery but just felt that I had not earned them and was uncomfortable wearing them for that reason.
    John

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John.

I think we have all seen widows wearing their late husbands medals on the ---I think you mean right, veterans wear them on the left----- lapel at a remembrance service and that is respected by all, after all, her loss and pride is the greatest. I think your thoughts on the matter are pretty universal here in the UK and in, I think, the Commonwealth too.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd September 12 at 03:12 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only speak as one American, who happens to be a veteran from a long line of veterans stretching back through many generations, both here in the US and the UK.
    I would never wear the decorations of any of my ancestors to "honor them".
    My point is that any generalization about any particular nation's collective attitudes are usually frought with exceptions and inaccuracies, limiting their usefulness in rational discussion.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not at all sure that generalisations were used.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd September 12 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It seems that some, perhaps many, US citizens seem rather more relaxed about "honouring their ancestors military career"."

Perhaps I misunderstood this statement as a generalization. Mea culpa.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thorpe View Post
    "It seems that some, perhaps many, US citizens seem rather more relaxed about "honouring their ancestors military career"."

Perhaps I misunderstood this statement as a generalization. Mea culpa.

This is getting silly, but if I had said " US citizens seem rather more relaxed etc, etc -------". Then fair enough that would be a generalisation and as you yourself clearly demonstrate that would not be correct. So "some, perhaps many" seemed to be less general to me.---------oh well, I tried!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd September 12 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JOCK AND 48 HIGHLANDER=I totally agree with you,I think people don"t realize how strongly regiments respect their
    regalia,badges.hackles.ties and their mottoes. To wear these badges, hackles with no affiliation to a regiment brings
    only one word to mind WANNABE.As for wearing such regalia to honor a relative it is not needed they have already
    honored themselves.
    Please before you put on someones earned history and honor,,,,,THINK ABOUT IT
    AND IF YOU DO .just remember what 48 HIGHLANDER SAID.
    I am sure that to some this info won,t mean a thing but now you know.
    be yourself

sincerely

WATCH DOG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    This is getting silly...
    Perhaps. But no sillier, IMO, than the OP's nationality becoming part of the discussion in the first place.
    The original question was how to properly attach a badge to a Balmoral. There was no mention of the propriety of wearing said Balmoral, with or without the badge.
    For Pete's sake, if I posted on every thread in the "contemporary" section that MUGs aren't really kilts at all, they'd never get anything discussed there, at least until I was banned.
    I do not hold myself blameless in this regard. I have a tendency to interject unsolicited opinions from time to time to the detriment of the continuity of topical discussion.
    Again, mea culpa.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast