X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well….the original intent of my post was to seek assistance in attaching a vintage Seaforth Highlanders badge to my balmoral. I was NOT soliciting from the membership whether he or she felt, by doing so, it was in the correct in regards to post service military protocol. Since the thread took a turn in a different direction and it seems, in doing so, my character and value system has come into question, let me as the initiator of this thread provide my thoughts and get in the last word.

First, thank you for your honest opinions and perspectives. I’ve read each’ and understand your personal positions. However, your opinions and perspectives are just that, YOUR opinions and perspectives. Some you who commented chose words and encapsulated those words into opinions as if you speak for all active as well as retired members of the military. Please don’t assume you speak for all military personnel; it only makes you appear to be ignorant.

Second, as I mentioned in my follow up reply earlier, the purpose for obtaining a vintage WWII Seaforth Highlanders cap badge was in remembrance of my Scottish side great grand uncle. I am NOT going to nor will I attempt to represent myself as a member of the Seaforth Highlanders. What I find objectionable is that some comments imply that I am not sensitive to military statue and traditions. What I failed to mention earlier was that my family has a strong history of military service to our country. I’m a Vietnam War veteran and served in the US Navy. My father was retired US Air Force who fought in both the Korean War and in WWII. My father earned the Purple Heart as well as many other medals that I display in my home office along with the United States flag that was given to me deceased mother following my father’s military burial. My grandfather served in the US Army during WWI. After his enlistment, he obtained a law degree and when on to provide free legal advice for any ex-military persons who needed help. Each past generation in my family since first settling in the United States has served in either the military or in public service. So, please DON’T try to “out military” me with your comments.

I’ll take your comments under advice, as I go about doing what I FEEL IS BEST FOR MY PERSONAL SITUATION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 48th Highlander View Post
    Why would you wear a Seaforths badge? Pray you never run in to a Seaforth Highlander, Canadian or Scottish. Strap a USMC badge on and see what happens to you in this country. This kind of crap pisses me off. Sorry. There is no defense for it if you did not serve and you did not earn it so why do you feel you can just strap it on?

I am formally from a Highland Regiment, and there is only one day of the year I can wear the badge I earned and that is when parading with the Old Comrades on the Remembrance Day parade. It is entirely insulting that you would turn a badge that represents generations of those who lost their lives just to make a fashion statement!
    I have taken quite a while before answering this thread. You say you have the Badge and the Balmoral, (saw the photos) so I guess at some time you will wear it. If not, then you don't attach a Highland badge to a khaki bonnet, you need a ToS from the time your relative served to be really correct to display.
    You mention that all the comments are opinions. However, they are not. Those against you wearing it are the honest feelings of the people concerned. Nobody is entitled to wear a Military badge of a Regiment that he did not serve in, and I am definately not buying a Vietnam, US Navy or whatever to wear.
    In the words of Terry Moore in his song about the the fallen soldiers of the regiments now forming the Royal Regiment of Scotland " although the ToS and the Tartan may wither the Badge will show that you're there".
    I guess you now know how to fix the Badge with its tartan patch, so question answered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theborderer View Post
    I have taken quite a while before answering this thread. You say you have the Badge and the Balmoral, (saw the photos) so I guess at some time you will wear it. If not, then you don't attach a Highland badge to a khaki bonnet, you need a ToS from the time your relative served to be really correct to display.
    You mention that all the comments are opinions. However, they are not. Those against you wearing it are the honest feelings of the people concerned. Nobody is entitled to wear a Military badge of a Regiment that he did not serve in, and I am definately not buying a Vietnam, US Navy or whatever to wear.
    In the words of Terry Moore in his song about the the fallen soldiers of the regiments now forming the Royal Regiment of Scotland " although the ToS and the Tartan may wither the Badge will show that you're there".
    I guess you now know how to fix the Badge with its tartan patch, so question answered.
    BOTTOM LINE: Sir, YOU can honor YOUR family’s past by whatever means YOU choose; I, on the other hand, will honor MY family’s heritage through methods that fit for ME.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewse View Post
    BOTTOM LINE: Sir, YOU can honor YOUR family’s past by whatever means YOU choose; I, on the other hand, will honor MY family’s heritage through methods that fit for ME.
    True. Just don't expect blessing, endorsement, approval or acceptance from those who hold a firmer view of respect toward service and sacrifice, and the symbols thereof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thorpe View Post
    True. Just don't expect blessing, endorsement, approval or acceptance from those who hold a firmer view of respect toward service and sacrifice, and the symbols thereof.
    Give me a break! I did NOT, I repeat did NOT, ask for any "blessing, endorsement, approval or acceptance”! As to service to our country, do we need to compare our military backgrounds? Pompous ***.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys - Lets agree to disagree! We are all individuals and are made up of our own experiences. One persons opinion is no less valid than another's. This is what makes XMarks strong - that we can disagree, but not fall out over it.

With respect to all

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Guys - Lets agree to disagree! We are all individuals and are made up of our own experiences. One persons opinion is no less valid than another's. This is what makes XMarks strong - that we can disagree, but not fall out over it.

With respect to all

Chas
    You are absolutely right. My apologies to all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My intention was to move this thread to the Cooling Off Corner, as it has been reported to the moderators for a possible breech of XMTS forum rules...

But perhaps we may be able to keep this thread open for a while longer (OP willing) if things remain civil. To our valued members, please consider this a warning shot... The moderators shall be monitoring this thread closely for the next little while.

Please remain cognizant of our Rules of Conduct and guiding principles:

Our guiding principles will always be;

“We agree to conduct ourselves as the Ladies and Gentlemen of X Marks.” This site has always been a place where our members treat each other in a polite and respectful, open and honest manner at all times.

[snip]

Rule #2
    –-We believe in fostering polite discussion. Posts primarily intended to provoke quarrels, escalate contention, or are hostile or insulting, are subject to removal.

Thank you all for your understanding,

JD
    For the XMTS Staff
    Last edited by CDNSushi; 24th September 12 at 08:32 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

The OP has kindly requested that this thread be closed, as his questions have been answered and no further discussion is needed.

The thread is now closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234