X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you were using the knee kick at the top rather than at the bottom. Leg drive is used to get the heavy barbell moving off your shoulders so you can duck your head "through the window" and press out.

Alternately you might have been leaning back without moving the hips forward, i.e. arching your back.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kit - it was arching the back that caused the problem; my leg drive was only for getting the weight moving up. As a result of that mistake, I am very aware of my form when pressing and keeping everything in alignment.

Went out to Shaffer Park to throw this afternoon; another beautiful day all to myself. Worked stones and wfd exclusively but, in contrast to the last several sessions, I went heavier. After warm up with a 10lb shot, I did standing throws with my open stone, which is just a couple of ounces light, and then moved on to tossing the Perfect Braemar Stone. (I'm not kidding about the Bstone; it's smooth and rounded with a nice handle and has a notch on side that locks perfectly against the jaw; it weighs 22.05lb. Alan can affirm the veracity of my testimony.) I was over 25' standing with the Ostone and just short of 21' with the PBS. At this point in the off season I'm very pleased with those distances. It wasn't too long ago that I was aiming to break 25' with the open. And, I'm right around pr territory with the Braemar. I expect to see major improvement in my stones numbers next season.

Moving to wfd, I started with a 35lb throwing weight used by hammer guys; I wanted to begin the process of using a double spin delivery with the heavy weight. It went well for a first session, about fifteen to twenty tosses; better than I expected actually. Moved on to a lwfd and got in another fifteen to twenty.

Finished with three sets of easy deads and waiter walks.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After yesterday's throwing session I needed a loosening up day. Started with about 20 minutes on the bike, elliptical, and recumbent bike; I switch up when I get bored. Followed that with a lot of light shoulder work, curls, traps, more bike, and a long stretch.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an excellent throwing day. It's absolutely true that you build technique with the lower weights, but I also like to get the big bad boys out reasonably often because heaving those suckers around builds throwing strength, which is different from weight room strength. So guid on ye for playing with the 35'er.

I kind of wish we had a 35 pound weight, actually.... and a 21 pounder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went I found myself in front of the bench contemplating just what I wanted to accomplish, I decided I wasn't in the mood to push the upper limit; so, I went for volume and speed instead.
    Ten fast sets of five reps with 135. I was able to maintain speed and explosion through all the sets, something I would not have been able to do four months ago. Very satisfied with this test session.

Moved on to traps, seated bench rows, pec deck, and a good stretch.
    Squat day tomorrow.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast bench....I'll be doing a bunch of this come February, especially fast incline bench. It's good for stone throwers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's Wednesday it must be squat day.

Walked into the weight room halfway expecting weirdness in the squat racks again. But one was open and I grabbed it.

The sequence:

(lbs/sets/reps)

135x1x5
    155x1x5
    185x1x5
    205x2x3
    225x2x3
    245x1x3
    255x1x2
    265x1x1
    270x1x1
    275x1x1

This matched my recent PR and I would have been happy to stop here.
    Except for the fact that I was feeling really good and had a bit of an attitude after dealing with a work issue this afternoon.

So I went up to 280 and hit it. New PR.

Then, I put on 285 and hit it. New PR.
    (felt like dancing with abandon)
    (supressed the urge)

Finished with 225x5 and 135x10

Closed with bike to loosen the legs and some ab work.
    Called my wife and blathered.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A double PR night in the squat rack? Excellent!

I read about something for squatting that you might want to try. I tried it last night but didn't get the interval right.

About four minutes before you squat a big weight, jump into the air a couple of times, i.e. try to hit your head on the ceiling. Research shows that squatters who did this were able to squat a bit more weight than non-leaping squatters.

It makes sense from an observational point. At the recent Olympics, it was pretty common to see the sprinters jumping into the air before getting down in the blocks.

Maybe there really is something to this.

Geez, Marty. 285 in the squat. Outstanding.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Kit. I'll try the jumping thing; as I think about it I have noticed lifters do that as they approach a big lift. It certainly can't hurt and even if the only benefit is to psych up, that's enough.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The geek that I am, I'd love a physiological explanation why this works. I'm not doubting it, I'm just nerdy like that.
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast