X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a doozy of a lightning storm last night. about 1 1/2 seconds between the flash and the seriously BIG KABOOM. yeah. That was cool. sorta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same thing up here.

I had a great view of the lightning while driving down Hwy 50 from the Rattlesnake Glen.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ventura, the last event of the season for me. And, all in all, I am okay with the results.

I hit a big PR in the open stone, going from the previous best at Dixon a couple of weeks ago of 26'5.5" all the way to 28'3" on Saturday. Very satisfying because after Monterey I knew I had to revamp my approach to the stones, particularly o-stone, and it has worked out exceedingly well. Dixon was actually the first time I'd broken the 26' barrier and, though I'd hoped to hit 27' at Ventura, I had no real expectation I'd blast over 28'.

Braemar was one inch off my best.

I also hit an unofficial sheaf PR. After clearing 16' for my official score, matching my official PR, and the bar was raised to 18'6". I've never cleared 18' before but I hit the bar at 18'6", which is my best toss ever. Unofficial tho' it may be, I'm taking it.

Wfd and hammers were acceptable, close enough to PR levels that I'm not beating myself up. I've made several technical breakthroughs in both events that give me good cause for optimism going into the off-season. With work on the field and in the gym I should start off next season in good form.

Wob I hit the bar three times at 10'. This will improve before next season begins. Period. I have a clear idea of what I need to do. And I will do it.

Caber was sort of a lunky stick, no taper to speak of, not exceptionally heavy. I had three good pulls at it, no turns. With more practice on longer sticks and timing work, plus getting stronger, I'm confident I will have better results next season.

Overall this season, I've had PR throws in open stone, hwfd, both hammers, wob, sheaf, and handled the caber far better than last year. Braemar and lwfd are both poised for imminent breakthroughs. Thus, despite some frustration that I didn't improve faster, I am feeling very good as I head into the off-season.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two thumbs up. Personally, I think you're going to see even more improvement, the quickest, in stones. this offseason, you need to get a 16 foot long caber, that you can ALMOST turn....or maybe turn 1-2x in ten tries. You pick and control anything that you will ever see in this class. You've proved that twice at Pleasanton, not to mention Dixon and now Ventura.. For that, you can thank your general diligence overall, and working with that 80 pound steel caber at Shaffer Field. So now it's time to get something about 60-65 pounds and 15 feet long. Now, longer and lighter is the way to go, to learn timing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend a 15' caber that you can turn. Nothing better for the confidence than beating up on a caber until you're ready for the next one. A turnable caber is great for technique work, too.

Glad to hear the stones are coming along well. Keep working them.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing that you did on that "almost PR" LWFD throw was that you pulled the weight THROUGH your hips, instead of your usual "over the top". That's something to work on. What will help with that is working rotational core strength....thus my loud trumpeting of the benefit of landmines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marty, I don't know if you realize this or not but looking at your NASGA scores from the last two years shows that you improved your scores by a whopping 35%!!! THAT is AWESOME!!! That also took a LOT of VERY hard work! Congratulations!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for noticing, Roger. Truth is I have worked hard and, more importantly, consistently. Throwing with Alan and analyzing technique has also helped tremendously. I've managed to see steady improvement in all the events, some more than others, and have had epiphanies at various times in all of them. Results are always a by-product of the effort put into the process and I have thoroughly enjoyed the process itself. Having just completed my third season, I'm still as committed as ever and look forward to preparing for next season, my last in the 50's Masters.

It's kinda funny but I always view all results through the prism of my first throw in my first event at my first game, Woodland 2010. It was hwfd and I had never touched a real implement before that moment. I had signed up for the game not knowing anyone who threw and trained using dumbells in loose imitations of the movements for each event. What I hadn't imagined, though, was the effect of the weight swinging from the chain and the tricky balance issues. I had watched video online so I had some idea of what I was supposed to do but real time performance was a totally new and unique experience. Quite predictably, on my first throw my left foot slipped as I tried to deliver and I ended flat on my back, with my kilt up to my chin, and hearing my daughter laughing hysterically from the sideline; Garry got video of the epic fail. The weight went about 3 feet, at best. Staring up at the sky I remember telling myself, "Well, this is going to be a lot more difficult than you thought." After picking myself up, as I walked away from the trig Dennis Morrison approached me and said, "It looks like you could use a few tips on how to do this." He proceeded to give me a quick tutorial, with encouragement to hang in there. Ever since, when I've seen him at games, I make a point of reminding him of that incident and offering my heartfelt thanks. And, like many others in this game, I try to pay it forward.

These days when I get results that are less than hoped for, I recall where I started and know that better throws will come along in due course with more training and practice.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a wise man.

And Dennnis is a very nice guy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That day in Sacramento will long be remembered for me because it was MY first time to throw too! I had to throw that nasty 56 lb thing too because i didn't know better and signed up for the C Class. The next games that year for me was at Watsonville and I did almost the same thing. I even heard Mike Q. say that he hoped someone got it on video and it would be a hit on Youtube! I didn't just fall over, I pretty much spun a hole to China then did this weird body flip and then flop that was absolutely ridiculous! Marty, when I saw you make your turn and totally hit the power position this last weekend on your weights I was saying to myself, "Wow! I sure wish I could make it look that smooth!" It sure has been a fun three years and we are going to have a LOT more fun in the years to come!!!

Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast