X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thursday I was feeling generally tired so I did a lot of mobility and lighter movements. Bike and elliptical to warm up; then some abs, med ball twists. Med ball shoulder swings-this really helps get the feel for getting hips into winding. Shoulder raises - lateral, front, back - 15 reps each with no rest between, two or three rounds. Overhead press work with the bar only, focusing on form and grip placement, stict and push press; many, many reps. Finished off with db snatches up to 55.

Friday was squat day. After trying out the new streamlined starting progression earlier in the week, I went in looking to go heavier. Thus, 205x5, 245x5, 275x3-at this point everything felt really good. Continued with 295x2 and singles at 305 and 315. Finished off with a set of 10 at 225, focused on exploding out of the hole.

This session marks the first time I've hit 315 since last year and the difference is significant. Last year it was a stretch, didn't feel as stable, core wasn't as strong, and I didn't feel safe with the attempt without a spot. Afterwards I felt it for several days. This time it was almost an afterthought in that I had no doubt that I could hit the lift, didn't even consider getting a spotter, and it felt smooth and stable from start to finish.

This morning I can tell I had a good session yesterday but I'm not feeling overly sore or fatigued. In addition, although I'm quite satisfied with 315 I'm most pleased with the final set of 10 with 225. It was without doubt the most explosive I've felt with that weight for that many reps and it's that sensation that should carry over to wob, sheaf, and caber in particular. The underlying lesson here is that foundation work pays off.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday was a recovery day. I wanted to get in some upper body work, front and back, but I wanted to keep it fairly light because my left shoulder is improving and I don't want to aggravate it. I know that Sunday is a rest day due to family stuff so I can give my shoulder several days off. I'll probably squat again on Monday so Tuesday will be the next chest and shoulder day.
    I'm finding it interesting that foam rolling the shoulder before and after a session has really helped. And avoiding movements that bother it is a no-brainer.

So Saturday was bike and elliptical to get the ticker going, med ball twists and shoulder mobility work. Then pec deck both ways with moderate weight, 3x10. Some db incline with 35, 3x10; 3 way shoulder raises, 2x10. Barbell curls for awhile. Then recumbent bike to ease on out.

Feeling good going into the Queen Mary game on Feb 13-14 but the rain is getting in the way of throwing practice. However, given our drought I'm not complaining at all. Plus, every thrower in California will have to work around the weather for the next few months if we continue to be lucky with the rain.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squat day again with two days rest is unusual for me but I wanted to follow up on the last session to lock in the gains.

After the usual warm up I did my starting progression: 135 to start, as many reps as needed, 205x5, 245x5, then 275x5 and another set 275x3. I was debating whether or not to go higher because I was experiencing residual fatigue from the previous session. But I decided while doing the second set at 275 that I was good to bump up one more step. Thus, 295x3 which was smooth and solid despite the fatigue. Finished with a set of 10 at 225. After this was done I was thrashed. Found a bike and went through the motions to keep the legs moving. A stretch and then off to the store for taco fixins
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a solid squat session.

I've made some changes in how I use the pec deck since out last conversation. Gee, the amount of weight I can close 3 x 6 has gone up....200 pounds now!

I only got in the gym twice last week...rain cramps my style, but hopefully I'll get in twice this week as well. Two trips is better than no trips.

My left knee has been generally sore and inflamed since our throwing session last week. I did some goblet squats with 50 pound dumbell and that didn't help. I think it was the discus that really did it in. I'm taking advil and wearing a foam brace under my pants, and it helps. I think the compression of the brace, which is little more than a neoprene knee-warmer really, is helping as well. At any rate, the writing is on the wall.

No squats for the rest of the off-season and no twisting. "Leg work" will be bicycle and the stair stepper and Good Mornings. I'm going to have a huge flat bench by March.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off day yesterday for shot clocking. Today I'm thinking it will be a speed and mobility session.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also doing my "upper body complex" which would give you the horrors, as it incorporates upright rows. However, I only do them once a week, and sometimes less, so hopefully there won't be any overuse issues. At least I'm not doing lat pull-downs or chinups, which are guaranteed to give me a 3-month-long cramp in my back.

It's supposed to be "partly cloudy" in Santa Cruz this Saturday, and Sunday is supposed to be AM clouds and PM sun, so hopefully you can get in at least two decent throwing sessions this weekend.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, so much for speed work. The gym was packed with New Year's People, most of whom will be gone by March. But today it was crowded and I was lucky to snag my favorite flat bench. Before going to the weight room I did med ball twists, med ball shoulder winds, and foam rolled the shoulders; I was primed for flat bench so that's what it was. High volume session, sets of 5 with 135,155,170; a single with 185 which was very annoying - I wanted several reps. I'm running into a plateau at 185, due in part to the simple fact that I've always been weak on the bench. I do a single at 185 and I don't have confidence in getting further reps in. Thus, I got mad, dropped down to 150 for 3 sets of 5 as fast as possible and finished with 3 fast sets of 5 with 135.

Incline bench 3 sets of 10 with 40 dbs, visualizing Braemar.

Pec deck sets of 10 with 145, 175, and 190 on the stack, a set of 5 at 205; finished with 160 to failure.

Bike to cool down and done.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thursday was back day and due to lack of sleep the night before I was just trying to get enough done to make it a positive session instead of a waste of time.

Started on elliptical and probably set a record for fewest rotations per minute until the very end when I got a brief jolt of energy. Moved on to the weight room for some leg press with moderate weight to loosen up. Then traps 3 sets of 10, and I felt like I was waking up a bit. Seated bench row 3 sets of 10 and pec deck 3 sets of 10; return to seated bench row for another couple of sets pushing the weight up. I'm still getting used to the new machine but I'm finally making my peace with it. Experimented with a new exercise, the seated pull over machine - not sure if I'll add it in to the rotation at this point.

Finished off with med ball twists, med ball shoulder winds, foam rolling both shoulders, recumbent bike and done.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off shot clocking yesterday. Today was squat day. Rested and ready.

Elliptical and abs to warm up, then I snagged a rack. 135 as many as needed to feel okay; 205x5, 245x5, 275x3, 295x3. I came in with the idea that I would break the 315 barrier, ideally at 325. However, although I felt strong and every lift through 295 was smooth, I wasn't feeling the magic. Nonetheless, I bumped to 305 for a single and then 315 for a single. I'm determined to establish 315 as simply a routine lift. At that point, I debated stopping - there wasn't anyone in the weight room at the time whom I trusted to spot - just a lot of people I didn't recognize at all. But I really wanted to walk out with a PR to break through so I added 5. I figured I could hit 320 without a spot and that would be enough for the time being. Hit it smoothly for the record. If I'd had a spotter I would have been more aggressive. But that will be for another day. Dropped to 235 for 10 to finish. I was surprised at how much I felt the difference between a final set at 225 and 235 - the increase should really pay off over the next few weeks.

After that went to the bike and elliptical to get my legs back. More abs, med ball twists and shoulder winds. Then, bar curls up to a set of 5 at 95.

Walked out of the gym very satisfied with the session.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very pressed for time yesterday so it was fast and compact.

Shoulder complex - front, lateral, and bent over reverse - four sets of 10 with dbs.

Pec deck - three sets of 10

Shoulder mobility med ball work and med ball twists.

Elliptical and abs and out the door.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast