X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Those do look like decent hangers, although I think they could benefit from a couple more clips to even out the load and prevent stressing of the fabric during long periods of hanging.

However, they really don't do anything revolutionary for the cost. They look nice, but the same concept can be achieved with el-cheapo hangers in the space of about 2 minutes. So the real question here isn't "why don't you just buy designed for the task kilt hangers?", but should be "why would you spend the money on high-dollar hangers when you can do the exact same thing without the cash outlay?" It really just comes down to being able to buy something cheap and local, rather than spending money on a specialty product.

Nothing wrong with either option, of course. It's just down to personal preference and budget. If I ever needed to impress someone with the aesthetic quality of the hangers in my closet, I'll know where to shop.
    Tobus, I think probably the main reason that I chose to "bite the bullet" and buy these outrageously expensive hangers is that they are wider than anything else on offer (even any 'el cheapo' hangers I have found).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they do look much wider than anything I've seen elsewhere. I managed to luck out and find some el-cheapo hangers that are just wide enough for my kilts to get clips all the way out to each end for full support. But I'm a little guy, and wear a smaller waist size than most guys. So any kilt larger than mine would need a wider hanger, in which case the ones from Scotweb appear to be the only alternative.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a smaller waist also - with these 14 inch hangers the max range of the clips is about 12 inches which puts 24 inches of kilt waist "under cilp" ( spaced at 4 inches ) half of the rest for a 33 inch waist is 4.5 inches. Doubled over is 2.25 inches extending past the outer clips - no problem.

A 40 inch waist on these would give 8 and 4 inches folded outside the outer clip - problem.

The kilt hangers are advertised as 20 inches but I'll bet the full extent of the outer clips is 18 which would put 36 inches under clip ( 6 inches apart with 4 clips. Hmm , pushing it for HW wool.) and 1/4 of the rest of the waist is the unsupported areas.

It would be nice for the big guys to have longer hangers but the standard (US at least) closet hanger bar center is 10 inches from the back wall. Past 20 inches would have to hang diagonally or move the bar out if the closet is deep enough that bar to front room is enough (especially with sliding door pleat wreakers) isn't a problem.
    A double "ain't gonna move it", here
    Last edited by tundramanq; 27th September 12 at 11:54 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12