X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robthehiker View Post
    Pity those of us in Ontario where 750ml of Speyside 10yr costs $40.
    No doubt, robthehiker, no doubt

I used to work as a bartender and there is a theory surrounding cheap booze: "swill" can be elevated by mixology. I often make Manhattans for myself at home using bottom shelf brands and guests think them right fancy That cocktail has rye (Canadian) whiskey because it is cheaper around here than Scotch, but make the substitution and you have a Rob Roy.

Rob Roy
    In a rocks glass with ice, combine and stir:
    2oz Scotch
    1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
    dash of bitters (preferably Angostura)
    maraschino cherry

Last edited by CMcG; 3rd October 12 at 05:52 AM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    No doubt, robthehiker, no doubt

I used to work as a bartender and there is a theory surrounding cheap booze: "swill" can be elevated by mixology. I often make Manhattans for myself at home using bottom shelf brands and guests think them right fancy That cocktail has rye (Canadian) whiskey because it is cheaper around here than Scotch, but make the substitution and you have a Rob Roy.

Rob Roy
    In a rocks glass with ice, combine and stir:
    2oz Scotch
    1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
    dash of bitters (preferably Angostura)
    maraschino cherry

Colin, very interesting that you do a Rob Roy Sweet! When I was a bartender I always saw it ordered as a Rob Roy Dry.
    Same recipe, minus the bitters, swap cherry for olive.

I wonder if it's a regional thing?

ith:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rather like Te Bheag. Yes it's a blend (only one on my shelf!) but I really like it, and it's relatively inexpensive. All a matter of taste! int:
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    Colin, very interesting that you do a Rob Roy Sweet! When I was a bartender I always saw it ordered as a Rob Roy Dry.
    Same recipe, minus the bitters, swap cherry for olive.

I wonder if it's a regional thing?

ith:
    I think people have all different kinds of variations with mixed drinks and they vary not only by region, but even bar to bar! I learned that a standard Rob Roy is as I listed above, but that a "dry" Rob Roy would use dry vermouth and a lemon twist instead of sweet vermouth and a cherry.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen a Rob Roy without bitters. I've had it many different ways, but the Manhattan and Rob Roy are both "whisky, vermouth, bitters" based drinks, the Manhattan is basically a "more american" version, though I'm pretty sure the Roy was invented on Broadway around the same time as the musical (many cite the Waldorf Astoria Bar Book of the time, but I've never seen it.) I usually use orange bitters - but I'm also a strong bitters fan and make my own at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried Teachers?

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill, that's a good choice. Te Bheagh (that's pronounced a bit like chey veck) just needs a larger production and be more readily available. I think it's in the low CAD30 range in Ontario, isn't it? In Scotland it can sometimes be found just shy of GBP28. "Cheap" and "inexpensive" take on two entirely different meanings when one talks whisky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you find a really undrinkable one you can always use it to make ice cream.

Mix a small amount with the liquid after any heating, when it is back to room temperature or lower, then add the flavouring and any inclusions and put it to freeze. It will make a smoother ice cream.

I use the brandy and rum I buy for the Christmas cake in the same way - though with the rum and raisin I soak the raisins for a day or so so they plump up.

Remember that the alcohol is still there - but it is best made with lavish ingredients and stored in small containers for indulgent suppers.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Has anyone tried Teachers?
    It was the blend being served for the tour tasting at the Whisky Heritage Center (?) in Edinburgh the last time I was there. I thought it was vile. I poured it out and then refilled my souvenir glen cairn glass with Bruichladdich 12 from my flask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not total swill because it is drinkable, but I have to recommend Scoresby Very Rare Blended Scotch Whisky. It's around $7.00/750ml bottle in this part of Missouri. It's guaranteed to be aged at least 36 months. I keep a bottle on the shelf for those occassions when you know people are going to be drinking your liquor and you know they have no appreciation for a good single malt. Perfect for when the son and his goofy friends are drinking your scotch. It actually isn't half bad; especially after the first one.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast