X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    I think it's in the low CAD30 range in Ontario, isn't it?
    It's $37 according to their website.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $36.95 in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Father Bill, that's a good choice. Te Bheagh (that's pronounced a bit like chey veck) just needs a larger production and be more readily available. I think it's in the low CAD30 range in Ontario, isn't it? In Scotland it can sometimes be found just shy of GBP28. "Cheap" and "inexpensive" take on two entirely different meanings when one talks whisky.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    If you find a really undrinkable one you can always use it to make ice cream. [snip]
    My new battle cry, replacing "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" LOL
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops! Hit the wrong key. This man be a source for advice about inexpensive whisky
    At the risk of repeating myself. There was a fellow at the VA Scottish Games giving out free tasting of some fine whiskyes. He is Dougie Wylie The Scotch Whisky Man. His tph# is (703) 517-0085. douglaswylie@yahoo.com and www.thescotchwhiskyman.com.
    Happy shopping

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    In college I used to drink Clan MacGregor when I couldn't afford anything better (that would be most of the time). Let's just say the experience left me with a lasting impression, and not a particularly good one.

ith:

Woodsheal , I would have to second artificer ! If you want buy some cheap " swill " to keep your son and his friends out of the good stuff , Clan MacGregor would get my vote . My experience with it back in the day was similar to aftificer's ! ( assuming it's still available )

It may make them decide to leave your stuff alone !
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cutty Sark.

No apologies; for inexpensive hooch, it agrees with this palate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I just don't do blends. At all. Ever.

I agree with the recommendations for Speyburn as an inexpensive but drinkable single malt. Another I'd recommend, currently US $14.97 at BevMo, is Tambowie:

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDet...ProductID=4873

The site inaccurately shows the type as "Single Malt", which it is not. It is a "Vatted Malt": Contains whiskies from several distilleries. But it is all malt whisky. It's been my go-to tipple when I've been between jobs or otherwise trying to save money.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

kiltedwolfman
    I find it interesting that so many people snub blends, when historically blended whiskeys were considered far better and for a much higher class than single malts. The idea of taking the best of the single malts and combining them to create a uniquely flavoured blended Scotch seems like a very natural act, especially when you are thinking about apeasing the buying public. With that in mind it's easy to find very affordable blends that have much to offer in the important areas of presentation, approachability and of course flavour. A personal favourite of mine is the Grouse black label.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that there is Single Malt that means blend or single cask from one distillery only. Then there is Pure Malt which is a blend of single malts from several distilleries. Then there are Malt whiskys which may be all malt or may be "watered down" up to 49% with cheap grain spirits. Then there is Scotch which can be anything, so long as it's 51% from Scotland.

The blends have the advantage of taste tailoring and uniformity from year to year.
    I recommended the Glenfittich Pure Malt as it inexpensive, uniform year in and year out, quite drinkable and 100% malt whisky - not the almost tasteless diluted blends. Nobody should learn to drink "rot gut" whisky or whiskie, especially your own kids.
    Most Vodkas have more taste and body than pure grain alcohol - Yuck - only fit for mixing with petrol.

I have noticed that the definitions for the labels vary a lot depending on what country the whisky is bottled in. Always looking for a new treat, I have to wear my magnifying lawyer glasses in the single malt section. I have seen the weasel term "made with" more than once and pot stills are used for may spirits other than whisky.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 6th October 12 at 11:20 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltedwolfman View Post
    I find it interesting that so many people snub blends, when historically blended whiskeys were considered far better and for a much higher class than single malts. The idea of taking the best of the single malts and combining them to create a uniquely flavoured blended Scotch seems like a very natural act, especially when you are thinking about apeasing the buying public. With that in mind it's easy to find very affordable blends that have much to offer in the important areas of presentation, approachability and of course flavour. A personal favourite of mine is the Grouse black label.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast