X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inexpensive kilt hanger

I needed a decent kilt hanger for my new kilt, so hit Walmart today to see what they may have. The longest hangers I could find with clips were these three-packs of white plastic hangers.

I took the clips off of one

And put them on another so I had 4 clips

Presto zippo, new inexpensive kilt hanger!

Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are on the ball Frank. Me? I just roll mine up and hope for the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you roll it Cecil, with the pleats I assume? I never even thought of that.

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just start on one side and roll it to the other side. Then I put the kilt in a bag to keep the moths for laying eggs in the wool. I got the idea from reading on here about a kilt bags that lets you roll it up. I have to get me one of those for going to Edingburg next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always just ask if they will give you the hangers with clips on them; a lot of retailers just throw them out into the trash or recycling bins. Free is always good. Use two of them per kilt, lightly folded in half, then fold in half again. (I've gotten hangers from our local Target, one of the Wal-marts, and the local Macy's.)

Our very own site owner made this tutorial about it and it's never failed me yet > http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ur-kilt-28264/
    Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    I just start on one side and roll it to the other side. Then I put the kilt in a bag to keep the moths for laying eggs in the wool. I got the idea from reading on here about a kilt bags that lets you roll it up. I have to get me one of those for going to Edingburg next year.
    Let me know where you find a kilt bag Cecil, I may be interested in one as well. Thanks!

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deirachel View Post
    You could always just ask if they will give you the hangers with clips on them; a lot of retailers just throw them out into the trash or recycling bins. Free is always good. Use two of them per kilt, lightly folded in half, then fold in half again. (I've gotten hangers from our local Target, one of the Wal-marts, and the local Macy's.)

Our very own site owner made this tutorial about it and it's never failed me yet > http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ur-kilt-28264/
    Free is always good, and I was sure someone else probably posted about hanger options. I just figured maybe it would help for folks to have a simple and easy idea. I think the hanger package cost me less than 3 bucks.

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Burnett's and Struth sell kilt bags when you purchase a kilt. I maybe wrong but I saw them on their website a while back.

Order of the Gael sells a pretty nice bag, too. It can carry three kilts, sporrans, and belts.

http://www.orderofthegael.org/kiltbag.htm
    Last edited by TheOfficialBren; 3rd October 12 at 06:25 PM.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
    Let me know where you find a kilt bag Cecil, I may be interested in one as well. Thanks!

Frank
    A couple of options come to mind. Ive dealt with traveling with my kilts by rolling them up and using one of my rope bags. I have guided and climbed on a few mountains so I have these rope bags that are about 27 inches long and can hold two to three rolled up kilts. They have a zipper the full length so you slip your kilts in, zip it up and stow it in your carryon or checked bag. My kilts stay nice that way till I can hang them again. Also for rolling kilts to transport you can use one leg of a pair of stockings or panty hose. Cut them to length, roll your kilt and pull the hose down like a sausage casing. Pack in your bag and you are ready to go. If you are storing a kilt for a length of time a block of aeromatic cedar or a sachet of cedar shavings will keep the moths at bay and smell a sight better than moth balls. If I travel by car I use the old suit hanging luggage and I can hang a couple kilts, some shirts and a jacket. All my kit goes in the side pockets and Im on the road. Just some ideas for ya to mull over with a dram....
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at this thread I posted quite a few years ago.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=28264

I am taking down and hanging up kilts all day. One day this idea just seemed so natural that we have been hanging our kilts and teaching this to everyone we know.

The secret is not the hanger. You can hangers for free at any department store. When a skirt is sold the hanger go into a box under the counter. The sales people will almost always let you go through the box and take what you need.

The secret is folding the kilt in fourths not thirds as it is worn.

This way you are only putting a hanger over two layers of kilt instead of three or four.

The kilt in the tutorial is an 8yard, 16oz wool kilt that weighs in at a little over 4 lbs. Even this tank will not fall out of the hangers.

Free Hangers + No kilts on the floor = good.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 3rd October 12 at 11:03 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast