X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the recomendation. I visited the museum's site and ordered Matt's book "Patented Advice for First Time Kilt Wearers" from the book store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd chime in and say that I enjoyed, and still enjoy referring to, "So You're Going to Wear the Kilt". I like his writing style, and it seems quite good information. (Although I didn't have much to compare it to when I read it through).

This forum has been good too. I think I might have to order Matt's book as well. Thanks.
    Last edited by QMcK; 13th October 12 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "So you' re going to wear the kilt" was the very first book I read about kiltwearing and though it contains a lot of useful information - I love the chapter avout how to address your chief - it sometimes seems to be more a book how to be the perfect scotsman outside scotland. But can also be useful...For my taste it's a bit too judgemental sometimes.
    And it's written in times one did not have the advantage to be able to get almost everything we need and want from the internet...
    Alltogether a good compendium to lead into the topic. And also a kind of "historic" description about kiltwearing in the US in the late 70s and early 80s.
    For a more modern perspective I would recommend what Matt and Nick wrote about it.
    Though it's still on my bedside table!

Tom

By the way...anybody who knows where to get a free e copy of Bob Martins book?
    Last edited by Pipersson; 14th October 12 at 06:39 AM.
    "A true gentleman knows how to play the bagpipes but doesn't!"

Member of Clan Macpherson Association

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own and have read both Scotty Thompson's book and Matt's. Both are quite helpful, but So You're Going to Wear the Kilt is the one I like the best. If a new kilt wearer reads it and follows the advice, he is not likely to embarrass himself in public or shame the family. Even Thompson says that, with experience, one will begin to journey outside the confines of the advice found in his book, but his book is intended for the novice.

While Matt's book if good and offers excellent advice and information, Thompson's is just a really good read, and I re-read it every year or two just because I enjoy it and like to. Matt's, I only graze through occassionally.

Well, that's my take on it, and I appreciate the formal book review in the OP.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned MacKennon's "Tartans and Highland Dress". If Thompson's book is the kilt wearing bible, MacKennon's 1960 tome is the old testament. And much like the bible, you can find something in them to support or refute (sometimes both) just about any position.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Bob Martins book "All about your kilt" which I do believe is available through the Scottish Tartan museum. Haven't read "so your going to wear a kilt" yet. I guess I need to find a copy, Thanks.
    Humor, is chaos; remembered in tranquillity- James Thurber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered the "Old Testament" by MacKennon and found another one: "Highland Dress" by George F. Collie...does anyone know this?

Tom
    "A true gentleman knows how to play the bagpipes but doesn't!"

Member of Clan Macpherson Association

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up this book, the 3rd revised edition, at Goodwill for .99. A delightful book and great buy. Now I have a feeling more kilt related books will be making their way into my library!! This is TOO addicting and will cost me bundles. I love it!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another interesting book I found is entitled "Scottish Tartan and Highland Dress - A Very Peculiar History" by Fiona Macdonald. This is a little book with picture plates and a lot of interesting little tidbits through out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I get the feeling that Scotty Thompson would have been an extremely active member of this forum!

Great book, entertaining read, very informative and a good resource for comparing the fluid trends and steadfast traditions of TCHD.
    The Official [BREN]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast