X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acolander View Post
    Berend,

Chances are what you have is an officer's kilt, which would have been tailored for the officer as opposed to being an issued kilt w/ the bright green binding/trim around the top. Note the black binding/trim around the top, this is again a feature found (previsouly) only on officer's kilts, also the differnce in material as opposed to an OR's issued kilt, both in colour being darker than usual and in hand, would also indicate an officer's kilt. The tartan is indeed Cameron of Erracht, and although now faded it is the darker sett that was worn by the officers andwas a finer wool.
    I agree. It looks like an officer's kilt c1930-40. The chemical black dyes used at that time were very fugutive and had a tendancy to fade out to khaki.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameron of Erracht tartan as worn by pipers of the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, July 1, 2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize that it's not necessary to mention that in 1944, in the battles in Normandy, the Cameronians would have been wearing battle dress (as would the Gordons fighting right slongside them in some of the actions).

But I'm curious, as I've rarely seen photos of Highlanders in a WWII combat theater wearing kilts "outside" of action; not even officers. In fact, for Normandy post D-Day, I can't think of a single instance. Anyone have any pertinent photos or links? I'd be very interested to see them.

Allen

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilts being worn "in action" during WWll has been the subject of a previous thread. Apart from Lord Lovats' piper I don't think you will find any further evidence. I believe that that there was in fact a war office directive that kilts were not to be worn in action
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information about the officers' kilts here. Thanks for those that contributed.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer In Exile View Post
    I realize that it's not necessary to mention that in 1944, in the battles in Normandy, the Cameronians would have been wearing battle dress (as would the Gordons fighting right slongside them in some of the actions).

But I'm curious, as I've rarely seen photos of Highlanders in a WWII combat theater wearing kilts "outside" of action; not even officers. In fact, for Normandy post D-Day, I can't think of a single instance. Anyone have any pertinent photos or links? I'd be very interested to see them.

Allen
    Just a slight clarification Allen, but the Cameronians were a Lowland regiment that did not wear the kilt (save the pipes & drums). The Cameron Highlanders did wear the kilt. Given that the Cameronians were named for the Covenanting Presbyterian leader Richard Cameron and his followers, who made up the bulk of the first members of the regiment, it can be somewhat confusing.

Regards,

T.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    Kilts being worn "in action" during WWll has been the subject of a previous thread. Apart from Lord Lovats' piper I don't think you will find any further evidence. I believe that that there was in fact a war office directive that kilts were not to be worn in action
    For those that have not seen that thread,the Cameron Highlanders were the last unit to see action wearing the kilt, in France in 1940. A battle damaged kilt from that action is on display at the Cameron museum at Achnacarry.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the correction Jock, my memory of that particular thread isn't as good as yours, neither is my knowledge of scottish military history, ancient or recent Cheers to you Sir
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    Thanks for the correction Jock, my memory of that particular thread isn't as good as yours, neither is my knowledge of scottish military history, ancient or recent Cheers to you Sir
    Actually, I have to confess that I am not altogether sure that the thread you had in mind is the same one that I have in mind, but it could be! Nevertheless the military history bit is correct.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acolander View Post
    Berend,

Chances are what you have is an officer's kilt, which would have been tailored for the officer as opposed to being an issued kilt w/ the bright green binding/trim around the top. Note the black binding/trim around the top, this is again a feature found (previsouly) only on officer's kilts, also the differnce in material as opposed to an OR's issued kilt, both in colour being darker than usual and in hand, would also indicate an officer's kilt. The tartan is indeed Cameron of Erracht, and although now faded it is the darker sett that was worn by the officers andwas a finer wool.

As to the pleasting, being knife pleasted would again indicate it being an officer's kilt as they had more latitude in their uniforms being tailored as they were.

I have 4x Cameron military kilts, 2x issued and 2x officers, and several pairs of trews bot6h officer and OR. Both officer's kilts are knife pleated where as both OR are MBP'd, and all the officers kit is the darker tartan and softer wool, whereas the OR's what OC Richard shows pictures of.

And before anyone suggests that the 2x near identical kilts I have to yours may not be military, yes, both the officer kilts are marked on the inside for the officers they were tailored for, providing name, rank, and date.

So yes, I would wager that what you have is an officers kilt in Cameron of Erracht tartan for the QOCH, or one of the affiliated Dominion regiments.

Christian
    Bolding above is mine.

This is slightly off topic, but I think this example will assist in people's understanding of how difficult it can sometimes be to pin down officer's gear.

Officers were required to supply their own uniforms and kit (which is why their uniforms are tailored instead of standard issue).

As a side-project last spring I drafted up plans for a c1880's era officer's Sam Browne harness. I wanted it to be as historically correct as possible in structure and fittings.
    The problem was that every officer had theirs made by a local equestrian harness maker (or for the very well off, a high end leather goods house), These makers used the hardware that they had on hand, or that an officer preferred, so the variations were ENDLESS. This was made worse by the fact that the harness was non-standard for home service (it was basically officer's taking the initiative to have one made in the field). Even after the pattern was "SET" and approved for home service in 1898 the belts were still made by individual makers, which resulted in a lot of personal variation.
    So the exact details of these harnesses (ring size, placement, exact strap fittings, positioning of components) is nearly impossible to define with 100% accuracy.

ith:
    Last edited by artificer; 13th October 12 at 08:33 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast