X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cameron of Erracht "Modern"

Hello! I'm looking for Cameron of Erracht in the large military set. 9" set would be ideal. I have been having trouble finding it, it has to be out there somewhere!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it' just not standard. I'm sure that any good kiltmaker could have it made for you as a "special weave". Could be expensive, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might inquire with House of Edgar - they offer Cameron of Erracht in regimental weight:

http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/...al_weight.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 18 oz. Regimental Weight Cameron of Erracht has a sett size of 23.5 cm (9.25 inches).
    [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]John Hart[/COLOR]
    Owner/Kiltmaker - Keltoi

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what sett size the Cameron Highlanders (of Scotland) were using in the 1850s. Military sett sizes progressively got larger as the 19th century progressed, why I don't know.

Here it is in 1852

I say this because I've noticed 79th New York re-enactors repeatedly using, by false analogy, a large number of uniform items and aspects of the Cameron Highlanders of Scotland. These include Scottish cap badges, blue hackles, collar badges, doublets, kilts pleated to the yellow stripe, hosetops, spats, kilt covers (anachronous by a half-century) and so on.

The military heavyweight tartan has a completely different feel and look than ordinary tartan, having a fuzzy surface not unlike a tartan travel rug. Were the 79th NY kilts made of stuff like that?
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th October 12 at 04:14 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I wonder what sett size the Cameron Highlanders (of Scotland) were using in the 1850s. Military sett sizes progressively got larger as the 19th century progressed, why I don't know.

Here it is in 1852
    I'm not sure about c1850 but from c1780-1840 Fine Kilts (based on Wilsons' counts) had an 8.25" full sett. Unlike their counts for some of the other regiments the 79th settings don't include one for Coarse Kilts but if there was one then it may well have followed the setting of the orginal regimental cloth. Details of all the early 1800 regimental settings are available in my book on Wilsons' 1819 Key Patterns.

The military heavyweight tartan has a completely different feel and look than ordinary tartan, having a fuzzy surface not unlike a tartan travel rug. Were the 79th NY kilts made of stuff like that?
    The material that you refer to is the Cheviot cloth commonly used for soldiers' kilts c1880-1970 (Officers wore a finer material as was discussed recently in a separate thread). The Cheviot cloth differed markedly from the earlier hard tartan originally used by all ranks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original tartan of the 79th N.Y was of poor quality. It still had a slight nap on some parts. They ordered a few thousand yards of it in 1858. I have always assumed they purchased the least expensive tartan possible. Are there any kilts of the 79th foot from the 50s to look into tartan similarities?

I took a thread count of the tartan, handled the kilt, have Shane Miles' & Bob Martin's notes....but reproducing the tartan exactly had proved to be too expensive.