X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Freedom Kilts Carry-All Sporran

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am sorry to say that my sporran maker cancelled my contract without notice or explanation.

I am currently totally out of all Carry-All sporrans.

The cutting dies for the Carry-All are currently in Scotland and I believe I have found a new maker. From the photos I have received the quality is even better than before. The new maker has also improved the design along with the workmanship. I honestly believe that I will have more Carry-All sporrans available very soon and I am confidant that you will be impressed with the features and the quality.

So let's take a look.

Here is the Carry-All Sporran.

This prototype has three leather tassels and a Celtic Knot embossed on the flap.

OK, you may think you are seeing just another day wear sporran. But wait. Hidden in the front flap and closed with velcro is a compartment just the right size for a business card case.

OK, nothing new you may say. Other sporrans have a flap pocket.

Let's open this one up and take a closer look.

Under the flap, and in front of the main compartment, is a second pocket. This is where I keep my pipe tobacco pouch. For those of you who smoke a pipe this is an unopened, standard 50 gram pouch.

Please notice the quality of the workmanship. From the full red leather lining to the heavy, straight lines of stitching. This is a very well made sporran.

Also please note that this prototype has a snap closure. This will be an option on these sporrans but the production versions will have a type of closure that I have never seen on another sporran. Opening and closing with one hand will be effortless.

OK, still not impressed? Still think you've seen it all before so nothing new? Let's take a look in the main compartment.

Notice please the separate pockets to hold a cell phone, small camera, note pad, pen & pencil set or what have you. There is also a clip to secure your keys keeping them near the top and easy to find.

Notice I still have room for a coin pouch and a slim flask.

These photos purposely do not have anything in them to use for scale. I've found that few people can gauge the size of something in a photo from a ruler placed in the photo.

To give you a good idea of the size and capacity of this sporran let me say that I am not a small guy. I'm 6' tall and have fairly large guy hands. I can fit both fists in this sporran when it is empty.

I'd rather you see for yourself what is in here. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

This is what was inside this sporran in the last photo.

The side gussets of this sporran are specially designed to allow you to easily reach to the bottom of the sporran if you drop a quarter down there and yet still be slim enough that you do not have the feeling of wearing a parachute pack in front.

Well, that's all of a teaser I am going to let you have for now. As I said, we are about a week from the first production models. Please stay tuned for updates.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 1st October 15 at 01:58 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is definitely going to be a must-have for me. . .who already has more sporrans than he knows what to do with.

This is a combination of appearance and contemporary functionality that, I strongly believe, has not heretofore been seen.

I see one black and one brown in my very near future.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, Steve. Please let us know when we can order. I want one. ASAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was beginning to think this was a forgotten project. So happy to see this and to hear there are options as well. This just made the top of my Christmas list!

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect. Improve on the utility of the Stillwater Cargo, and make it more attractive and traditional. Way to go. I will be ordering.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance a matching leather sporran strap will be available for the black and brown??

And...just sayin'....would sure be interested in the three dimensions in actual inches....

One hand closure is what sold me on the Stillwater...for me, that's key for a modern sporran. Looking forward to seeing what that will be.

And, a back pic would be appreciated to see how it connects. Hoping there's a slide through loop for the sporran strap.

Great collaberation.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that looks great
    LitTrog: Bah. You guys with your "knowledge" and "talents." Always taking the legs out from under my ignorant nincompoopery.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now THAT is a sporran concept! This hits a lot of good points: L&M quality, traditional appearance, functionality, and price.

Not to be too skeptical, but what's the catch? Riverkilt is fond of reminding us that one can have any two out quality, price, or service... maybe there will be a 10 page application to get one of these babies
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure most of you have noticed the resemblance of some of the features of the Carry-All to the Nightstalker. I would like to give a big nod of recognition to Jerry at Stillwater for his design. It was and is a totally revolutionary sporran. I love mine.

I hope all of you can see that this is not a copy of Jerry's design. I won't rip-off another man's work.

I wanted something different, something that everyone would recognize as a sporran. This design started with a traditional day wear sporran. It has incorporated some of the features of the Buzz Kidder line and some of the Stillwater but retains the look of a traditional day wear sporran that we all know.

Ron, I'll publish the actual dimensions of the line when I get the first of the production sporrans. After this last prototype I made some small changes which may affect the overall size.

Yes, there will be matching leather straps for these sporrans. We are having a bit of a problem sourcing a good quality quick release end for the straps.

The fastener for the flap is another feature that we are looking at a new source for.

What's the down side someone asked? Well that is going to be price. I wanted these sporran to be very high quality and made domestically. Far fewer problems with quality control and supply. So I'm sorry, this sporran will never sell for the price point of a Nightstalker or Buzz Kidder. But I have done everything I can think of to keep the price reasonable and affordable to the average guy.

Another down side may be production time. L & M Highland Outfitters are not a big mass production shop. They have other orders to fill and other customers to satisfy. I'm just one. They have said that I will have sufficient stock for Christmas shipping and they are very excited about this new concept. They have never done a sporran like this before. Grant keeps saying that his people love thinking 'out of the box' and will do their best to keep me supplied. We just don't yet know what the demand for this line will be.

I have promised Grant, and all of fine people at L & M, that this will be a big seller. That the members of X Marks will appreciate the looks, quality and features of this sporran.

I got almost all of my ideas for this sporran from my customers and you, here at X Marks. This is the design you have been saying you wanted. My job is to make your desires come true.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Sandia Park, NM, USA (near Albuquerque, NM)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,
    You ought to run a poll here counting all those who think they'll probably purchase one of these by, say, Christmas. Then you can communicate that info back to the folks at L&M so they can get an accurate judge of the demand. I personally can see (at least) three of these in my future (hopefully as Christmas gifts for me and my sons-in-law).
    Rob.
    Rev. Rob, Clan MacMillan, NM, USA
    CCXX, CCXXI - Quidquid necesse est.
    If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all. (Thumperian Principle)

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast