X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Salt is finally getting his Edzell

Many moons ago, a legendary kiltmaker, The Rocky, in the far away land of Pennsylvania, stocked a special tartan. It was first given to the Sky Watchers in the North who watched over the last free people of Europe by peering into a scope to see what the eye could not, beyond the horizon. Those unsung heroes helped keep the last stronghold of freedom alive in a part of the world where it had had nearly gone extinct. Later, it was adopted by others who took to the seas in defense of their home and the freedom of others. This kiltmaker had a limited supply of this blessed fabric, and many sought it.

Meanwhile, in the land of Nebraska, lived a landlocked Sailor. He was born on an island in Puget Sound, his first breaths being of salt air. He was truly of the sea. He grew to sail around the world several times in the finest Navy the world has ever known, became a master healer of the fiery metal birds that rule the seas and the skies, traveled to many far-flung lands both by water and air, walked on six of seven continents and sailed the coast of the last, and fought many battles from both the sea and sky. The tartan's history was linked so closely to his modern Naval warrior lineage that he knew he must possess a finely crafted kilt in this amazing cloth with the power to not be all itchy and stuff. Alas, our Old Salt had not the funds to acquire it. Then, one day, his fortunes turned and the chits were in hand! “It shall be mine!” he cried! Unfortunately for our nautical adventurer, The Fire Fox told him that the fabric had all been used, and no more would come. His hopes were dashed, but like all old warriors, be they of the sea or land, he sallied forth.

Some time later, while reading the Book of Faces he learned that the cloth had once again come to be. The Sailor dropped his Phone of Smarts and ran to The Fire Fox. The Fire Fox helped him contact The Rocky who wrote only good news and confirmed that The Book of Faces was speaking the truth. The Sailor channeled his voice, via The Phone of Smarts to the Rocky, who was not in the shop at the time. Fortunatley, The Ian was there to hear his words. The Ian, a protégé of The Rocky, promised him a fine kilt in the blessed fabric. The Sailor knew that anyone The Rocky vouched for was good for his word, and for his craftsmanship.

The Sailor was overjoyed! He would now have a kilt made of this cloth that would tell the world that he and his brethren, most closer than family, took to the sea and air and did more than they were asked to ensure that freedom would prevail wherever they traveled. More than that, he could show the world that he was part of a family, bound in blood, that always puts others first, and lives to serve the greater good. Nothing could be worn with greater pride.

Non sibi sed patriae! Semper fortis!

In other words, my Navy Semitrad is on its way, and I am friggin' jumping around like a maniac! I've been waiting a long time to have this one. I have others that are a bit more exciting and prettier such as the American Heritage and Scruffy Wallace, but this one means the world to me, and will be the one I wear for important events. My connection to my Navy family is closer to me and to my heart than my connection to any clan. I have brothers and sisters who are closer than those from my own family tree. We're bound by blood--some by choice and some by fate. Thank you for getting this tartan again Rocky. I can't thank you enough! Bravo Zulu.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant!
    Looking forward to seeing photos of you and your new kilt once it arrives.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    Brilliant!
    Looking forward to seeing photos of you and your new kilt once it arrives.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Sir is Awesome. You should write books. And congrats on the kilt.
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being an ex-destroyerman I can understand your sentiments exactly. I know I don't have to say "wear it with pride" as obviously you will. Please send photos soonest.
    Anchors aweigh
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful narrative, Allen, a joy to read. Thank you for your service and congratz on finally obtaining that which you have desired for so long a time.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was well into your sea story before I realized that I had misread this thread's title. I had thought that you were getting a collectible car from the Ford family of brands.

This news is much better. Fair skies, and following seas to you, master story teller.
    ---------------------------------------
    One has no need for a snooze button, when one has a hungry cat.

Tartan Riders, Kilted Oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good things come to those who wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool...I just ordered my Navy/Edzell semi-trad last week. Was saving up to get a 5 yard wool but really wanted the PV and then Boreus Rex smiled upon this old Bluenose Bubblehead and saw fit to place within my grasp, via Rocky and his crew, the sacred cloth woven in PV. Very good to know that there will be several PV Navy kilts out there. Fair winds and following seas to you.
    Rondo MM2/SS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally loved your narrative. I was a Navy brat until I was 14 and my Father met my Mother while serving at Whidbey Island. I have lived in and around Washington many years. Best of luck with your new Kilt.
    I am Matty Ross of the Clan ROSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast