X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"New" Clan MacTavish Dress Tartan

Thanks to the efforts of our Clan Chief, our girls now have a tartan with which to proudly represent Clan MacTavish in Highland Dance competition and exhibition. It is not really new, dating back to at least 1845 and likely considerably further.

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar...aspx?ref=10731

Tam Piperson is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been a fan of the white-based dress/airsaid/dance tartans. The red MacTavish tartan is quite striking though, and the blue Thompson tartan is very lovely as a dress tartan, and the brown hunting MacTavish is handsome as well. I can't say the same for this new dancer's tartan however.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder? I wonder, if we have another trans-Atlantic divergence of definition going on here? To me and most in the UK "dress" means formal, so when I hear of a "dress" tartan which to me, at least, means a formal evening dress tartan, for men in a kilt form. For example the MacLeod of Lewis(loud MacLeod) is the "dress"(formal) tartan for MacLeod of Harris and has absolutely nothing to do with female attire as such.

Thoughts anyone?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting question Jock.

Growing up I heard of the "dress tartan" which was for formal wear such as evening dress and posh events such as family weddings, and "hunting tartan" which was for day wear. As a boy I had a red "Dress Robertson" kilt for the former and the green "Hunting Robertson" for the latter ... and still do.

I can't remember much reference to tartans specifically for women or for highland dancing, except that they generally had a white base colour.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't "know" Jock.

At one time I thought a dress tartan would be for formal occasions. However, the "dress" tartan for clan Scott is one of the white based ones typically reserved for ladies dancing 'dresses', or so I thought once I searched enough threads here.

For now I have chosen to not order a kilt in my clan's dress tartan, I have seen a picture of one in the clan newsletter and for now I will stick with my green and my monochrome and dream about sending a length of red off to BarbT someday.

Tam Piperson is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the black & white "dress" Scott tartan (shown here worn by Mr. Scott on Star Trek) was actually intended to be more of a border/shepherd's check?

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I wonder? I wonder, if we have another trans-Atlantic divergence of definition going on here? To me and most in the UK "dress" means formal, so when I hear of a "dress" tartan which to me, at least, means a formal evening dress tartan, for men in a kilt form. For example the MacLeod of Lewis(loud MacLeod) is the "dress"(formal) tartan for MacLeod of Harris and has absolutely nothing to do with female attire as such.

Thoughts anyone?
    "Dress" has become, at least in some circles, the term used to describe tartans with white fields most often worn by Highland dancers. A perusal of "Dress" clan tartan listings will bear this out. Our small clan has not had an official dress tartan for over 150 years, so MacTavish (and many Thompson) girls have had to choose another clan's tartan for competition. Our Chief has remedied that, with my thanks on the girls' behalf.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I quite accept that many(most possibly) Clans do not have a "dress"(formal) tartan and never have, but it still raises the question of "definition divergence" and the potential muddle we all could be headed towards. Perhaps its best to have a muddle so that we can spend the next umpteen years trying to sort it out!

Sigh and sigh again.

Oh crumbs perish the thought of endless round and round pointless discussion thirty times a year.

Still let us look on the bright side! It will make a pleasent change from the white hose/flat cap/kilt height debate!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smart, David. Thanks for sharing.

Us Macphersons are quite fond of our 'dress' tartan, which also happens to be one of our oldest setts.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 6th November 12 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

Thoughts anyone?
    N
    Now I maybe wrong here Jock, but I was under the impression that "dress" tartans came about from Queen Victoria, that a red based tartans was improper for a lady to wear. So the predominantly red was changed to be more white "dress Stewart" was born and other clans followed suite. I also think that the designation of a dress tartan with the dominant white in it makes sense in most people's heads because as an everyday tartan to wear it would show and get dirty more readily. So dress may be a formal wear tartan that was created by a woman
    David

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast