X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original poster spoke of "kilt wearing Americans". That seems to be a very broad church and most Scots are probably very happy with some members but less so with others - it must depend in entirely on motivation. For example, the vast majority of Scots see Utilikilts and the like as just a big joke and certainly nothing to do with Scotland. I guess that we could have some concerns about sites like this one and various US "gurus" causing misinformation and myths to be endlessly passed around until they become the truth. You only have to look at the locations of Xmarks members to see that there is very little Scottish representation To put the question the other way round, what do Americans think of Scots singing C&W songs. C&W clubs are very popular in Scotland especially here in the North East. If some farmer from Auchnagatt or a fisherman from Buckie who has never been near the States composes a song about his forty-tonner thundering across the prairie (or whatever), can that be regarded as in any way authentic C&W?
    To recap, Scots are very happy for the tartan to be worn by Americans for many possible good reasons provided the tail does not come to wag the dog. The kilt is Scotland's National Dress!

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are fairly new here, neloon, so can be excused for being unaware that this particular tail has been transatlantically wagged for many years now. Fortunately it is, by and large, correct as to forms and styles of dress and, as such, cannot be faulted.
    As in so many things, however, there is always a transatlantic desire to push the envelope but always a realisation by most that such creations are not considered authentic highland dress.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    For example, the vast majority of Scots see Utilikilts and the like as just a big joke and certainly nothing to do with Scotland. I guess that we could have some concerns about sites like this one and various US "gurus" causing misinformation and myths to be endlessly passed around until they become the truth.
    Emphatically agreed. The term "MUG" doesn't seem to be taking off as it should to describe the decidedly non-kilt garments so misnamed.

If some farmer from Auchnagatt or a fisherman from Buckie who has never been near the States composes a song about his forty-tonner thundering across the prairie (or whatever), can that be regarded as in any way authentic C&W?
    I'd like to hear it, authentic or not.

To recap, Scots are very happy for the tartan to be worn by Americans for many possible good reasons provided the tail does not come to wag the dog. The kilt is Scotland's National Dress!
    I can't imagine, and would be disgusted to learn of, someone trying to dictate TCHD to a Scot, as if that would not be an exercise in futility.
    A question for consideration: Is not the traditional kilt the "National Dress" of Scots the world over? After all, there are five times as many Scots outwith the geographical borders than within. Many of us of the Diaspora are very interested in, have asked about and have received much good information about both historical and contemporary TCHD from several knowledgeable and willing posters here, whether they reside in Scotland or not. What readers actually do with that information is understandably a reason for concern, but hardly controllable.

At any rate, I thank you for sharing your thought-provoking comments.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there really 5 times as many Scots living outwith Scotland's borders? Or, are there 5 times as many of other nationalities with Scots ancestry outwith Scotland's borders? Two similar, but very different questions with two very different answers.

The answers, depending on where we come from, of the above questions cause some Scots and some with Scots ancestry, who are not Scots as such, quite a bit of angst. Therein lies the problem for us all wherever we happen to live.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th November 12 at 05:48 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    If some farmer from Auchnagatt or a fisherman from Buckie who has never been near the States composes a song about his forty-tonner thundering across the prairie (or whatever), can that be regarded as in any way authentic C&W?

Dang it all Neloon, you are making me think and I am not good at that this early in the morning. I think, for the first time, I understand more fully how the native Scots feel about those, like myself, outwith Scotland wearing the kilt.
    I am a huge fan of C&W music, have been all my life, and although I might enjoy the song the farmer from Auchnagatt or the fisherman from Buckie wrote, I would know in the back of my mind that it was not truly authentic. But then not all of our USA C&W music is what can be called authentic. Much of it being written by people that have never come close to experiencing what they have written about.
    And I have to add that I don't think most Americans think of a Utilikilt as being scottiish.
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering if there are similar discussions about non-Germans wearing lederhosen....

The whole "national dress" question is interesting. It seems that often what passes for "traditional" clothing is of fairly recent origin, was used primarily for special occasions, or by a relatively small segment of the society.
    In the case of the kilt, the current "traditional" or "proper" 7-yard knife-pleat kilt comes from a fairly narrow window in Scottish history, as do the "rules" about how it should be worn.

You might just as well ask "How do Scots feel about non-Scots eating haggis?" Food is often as distinctive as clothing, but nobody seems to get terribly upset when other cultures borrow, combine, and re-interpret their distinctive cuisines.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock,
    An excellent point! I personally deplore the tendency in my country to be a hyphenated American. I am not a Scot, nor am I a Scottish-American. I am an American, who happens to have some Scottish ancestry and is interested in exploring and celebrating my Scottish heritage. Scots living outwith Scotland's borders to my mind would be persons with UK passports, and UK addresses or birthplaces in the northern portion of the Isle of Great Britain, not currently in the northern portion of Great Britain!

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Are there really 5 times as many Scots living outwith Scotland's borders? Or, are there 5 times as many of other nationalities with Scots ancestry outwith Scotland's borders? Two similar, but very different questions with two very different answers.

The answers, depending on where we come from, of the above questions cause some Scots and some with Scots ancestry, who are not Scots as such, quite a bit of angst. Therein lies the problem for us all wherever we happen to live.
    Last edited by Geoff Withnell; 29th November 12 at 07:25 AM.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Wearing a kilt is a profound experience for anyone brought up in a western background where trousers (pants) are the normal form of dress. It is an opportunity to step outside the humdrum mediocrity of present-day mens' clothing, to be a bit individual and, let's face it - be a bit of a peacock. Women do it all the time but men are stuck in a bit of a rut dress-wise.
    OK it is a Scottish national dress but there is nothing to stop anyone else adoping it, especially if they have a Scottish background or just really want to identify with it. The only thing we Scots ask is that it is worn with respect and not treated as some sort of fancy dress costume.
    Well said, Phil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post
    Just wondering if there are similar discussions about non-Germans wearing lederhosen....
    I have discussed this correlation before. Use the search feature on the forum to locate that particular thread.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To put the question the other way round, what do Americans think of Scots singing C&W songs. C&W clubs are very popular in Scotland especially here in the North East. If some farmer from Auchnagatt or a fisherman from Buckie who has never been near the States composes a song about his forty-tonner thundering across the prairie (or whatever), can that be regarded as in any way authentic C&W?
    Well now, the greatness of THIS question asked is that American Country music has it's deep roots in Scotland. The Fiddle is just ONE instrument prevalent in Country Music that has it's origin in Scotland. The stories still told in this American brand of music are the same as the tales told in old Scottish songs. The roots of Country music in the Appalachian Mountains came directly from the Scots who made there way there to be able to have aome religious freedom (from the Anglicans in the tidewaters) and to be a buffer for those tidewater folks against the Native American population.

So, I am not surprised at ALL that "C&W" music is popular in Scotland and the composition of any song in that genre is most often delightful, entertaining and even inspiring!
    Last edited by RogerWS76; 29th November 12 at 11:15 AM.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast