X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    your dog matches your outfit perfectly and should get a special dispensation to attend the event
    I have to agree, I think it would be the great hit if you walked into this black and white event with your black and white dog. And it is one beautiful dog
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it's spot on as well. Even the stingray sporran looks the part. I especially like how you got your beard to go along with the outfit choice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks so smart!

I hope you enjoy the 'do'.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I especially like that black and white kilt and you wear the outfit very well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time I have ever seen white flashes - so simple, yet just the right thing. Well done.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    That looks good, Truitt, you are wearing it well! The Prince Charlie is not my coatee of choice, but you avoid all of the pitfalls that people normally fall into -- wearing a belt which is either partially or fully visible under the waistcoat, wearing an ill-fitting Prince Charlie (or kilt) leaving a wide gap of white shirt visible between the kilt and waistcoat, or downing the jacket itself in a waterfall of medals, pins, awards, name-tags, etc. Your kilt and Prince Charlie look to fit you well, and you are keeping it streamlined and simple. Very nice, indeed!
    Matt, thanks. Your guides at Albanach.org were probably the most useful reading I did. As for the fit, it is off-the-shelf from Rocky's overstock sale. I expected it to need some alterations, but it seems to fit quite nicely. Thanks again for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Everything looks like it fits well and you definitely are following the wishes of your hosts re: B&W formal. My only real comment is that a metal cantle on your sporran would be more traditional... stingray is very distinctive, but not quite a replacement for a fullmask sporran. Other evening sporrans typically have a cantle and add an extra bit of bling to the outfit.

My joke comment is that your dog matches your outfit perfectly and should get a special dispensation to attend the event
    Colin, thank you for comments, and I agree that the sporran may be a liitle on the 'plain' side. I built a simple black leather cantle with some small simple tassles on the side, and it may be a bit too simple. Although I do like the sporran, I will probably add a silver cantle to it in the future. As for full mask sporrans - even though they are traditional I can't say that I'm a fan. I don't have anything particular against them, just don't care for them personally. Thanks again for the comments.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailortats View Post
    I have to agree, I think it would be the great hit if you walked into this black and white event with your black and white dog. And it is one beautiful dog

The event organizers have jokingly invited her, but I'm sure the holet management would not appreciate it. And thank you for the compliment. My wife and I both work very hard with her.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

Rocky, thank you for your fantastic customer service and quality products. Most of the outfit was supplied by USA Kilts. And it took many years to get my beard the right color

Chas, I got the ecru garter ties from the Tartan Museum gift shop.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I am a bit late to this party, but I did want to commend you on the overall look of your outfit. It is understated, meets the required level of dress requsted, and holds up well to inspection. At first glance, I had reservations about the sporran, but as I looked closer and saw that it was a stingray, I changed my mind. I like it, and knowing how it looks in person, I think it's fine.

If you really want a "formal" sporran, you can always purchase a lower end hunting sporran with metal cantel for those rare occassions you need something dressy. Or even get one of the better rabbit fur sporrans that look pretty good.

I can add nothing to what had been previously posted, but I did want to say, Good Job, since you asked.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truitt View Post
    Rocky... [SNIP] And it took many years to get my beard the right color
    Mine turned 'just the right color' after only 2 years of marriage to Kelly. Did I say that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast