X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew Volstead had many allies or his amendment would never have been carried by the requisite number of state legislatures.

If it hadn't been him it would have been someone else so don't feel too bad MNlad.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    20 amendments before this one? What were they, Ern? No politics, now, but why is the 21st so important? And then, can we discuss how important the 2014 refrendum will be to the UK?
    If we discuss the Amendments to the Constitution, we'd be discussing history; if we discuss the 2014 referendum, we'd be discussing politics.

Anyway, I'd recommend Ken Burns most excellent documentary on Prohibition...lots of stuff that I didn't know and some wonderful old footage.

Best

AA
    ANOTHER KILTED LEBOWSKI AND...HEY, CAREFUL, MAN, THERE'S A BEVERAGE HERE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    20 amendments before this one? What were they, Ern? No politics, now, but why is the 21st so important? And then, can we discuss how important the 2014 refrendum will be to the UK?
    Here's a list, courtesy of Wikipedia. The first ten are collectively known as the Bill of Rights. There have been many modern experiments where a researcher takes to the street with these ten ideas written up as a petition (as if they were not already law) and people refuse to sign. . . probably the same people who can't find their own state on a map of the country LOL

/threadjack
    /tip-toeing away from the edge of the forum rules cliff

My own toast was with a current favorite, Green Flash Double Stout "Black Ale"!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydnie7 View Post
    ...probably the same people who can't find their own state on a map of the country LOL
    Seeing that last bit made me think of the show How the state got their shapes, which has expanded to a general history show. They often do a bit where residents have to draw the shape of the state they are in and very few get it right.

As for drinking a toast, I was unable to as I had to work that night. We did have a local bar hold a repeal party, but they did it on the 7th. It did feature a beer that is known as a pre-prohibition style.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alcohol has caused so much misery and unhappiness, one can understand the original thinking behind Prohibition and how it came to be approved. However Prohibition proved that people do not like being told what to do. Far better to Educate on the dangers of alcohol and let people make their own choice whether to imbibe or not.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123