X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tartan design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tartan design

I’ve had the notion of building a tartan off of my assumed coat of arms, viewable here:
    http://www.americanheraldry.org/page...morial.HarrisS

From what I’ve gleaned from this forum, I aimed for a tartan that was bold and distinctive while also being clean and simple. This is what I’ve come up with:

I believe that the thread-count would be: P18 G54 W42 K6 W12 K6

The major stripes of green and white come from the ‘vert doubled argent’ liveries of my arms. The white stripe bears three black overchecks, which reflect the three black crosses erminée in the arms. The green stripe bears a single pink overcheck that comes from the carnation in my crest. Excluding my bobcat’s fur, those four colors make up my entire arms.

What do you think??

Question about thread-counts: As far as this design is concerned, the thread-counts: P18 G54 W42 K6 W12 K6 and K6 W12 K6 W42 G54 P18 would both yield the same design. Is one notation preferable over the other?
    Stìophan, Clann Mhic Leòid na Hearadh
    Steven, Clan MacLeod of Harris
    Dandelion Pursuivant of Arms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about thread-counts: As far as this design is concerned, the thread-counts: P18 G54 W42 K6 W12 K6 and K6 W12 K6 W42 G54 P18 would both yield the same design. Is one notation preferable over the other?

Initially...
    I like the tartan. Quite a bit, actually. The use of "pink" or "rose" (Wilson's maybe?) is a vintage nod that is underutilized.
    The proportionality of white to green (whichever may be your ground) may lead some to presume a Dress or Dancer's tartan...just a thought.

As for the thread count, I think it may effect the Balanced Warp, i.e. ultimately what ends up at the selvages? And then, only half the count is required ("weaver's method" The 1819 Key Pattern Book, Peter Eslea MacDonald) : Half-sett...P9 G54 W42 K6 W12 K3 or K3 W12 K6 W42 G54 P9. How many half-setts across the width (hypothetically 6 1/2-setts @ 25" with re: reed, warp ends & epi gives 3 full-setts appx 8")...

Balanced Warp:
    K3 W12 K6 W42 G54 P9 w/ pink on green at the selvage.
    P9 G54 W42 K6 W12 K3 w/ black on white at the selvage...which a weaver may not want to do, too light at the bottom.

Figheadair, M.A.C. Newsome, RockyR, Slohairt, "Pleater" Anne, Barb T, Bonnie Heather all will have considerably more insight as to how the looms are set up.
    Perhaps you might PM one of the experts.
    Last edited by Domehead; 20th December 12 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Additional contacts

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice effort, Steven. I would echo Domehead’s suggestion that the large areas of white might suggest a dress or dancer’s tartan, but it is not necessarily a drawback.
    On the other hand you may like the idea of making the black stripes a bit broader, to diminish the domination of white.
    In the tartan I designed for myself (likewise derived from my arms) I similarly have three stripes in one colour across another colour (yellow on red).
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would actually make only the central black stripe broader - I feel that would echo the ermine spots in cross from your arms a bit better (as it would create a more substantial cross).

Aside from that, I actually quite like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent ideas! Thank you for the feedback. How's this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, I really like version 2.
    Eric

"Bones, Spock, Kirk - They were three different people from three different places. Especially Spock."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by be da veva View Post
    Nice, I really like version 2.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Version 2 is a better design however, I do like white based setts for kilts etc as they are too pale and more importantly (for me) non-traditional and they get dirty. If you are going to stick with large areas of white make sure that you specify 'ecru' (unbleached white) as the shade if you have the design woven otherwise you'll end up with something that will require sunglasses .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figheadair,

Re: the OP's question about expressing thread count:
    Loomed on Balanced-Warp, if the half-sett is threaded K3 ... P9 or P9 ... K3, will this make a difference which colors end up at the selvage?
    If so, it does matter how the thread count is recorded K3 ... P9 or P9 ... K3, correct?

Thanks for any information,
    Domehead, on behalf of.
    Last edited by Domehead; 21st December 12 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Version 2 is a better design however, I do like white based setts for kilts etc as they are too pale and more importantly (for me) non-traditional and they get dirty. If you are going to stick with large areas of white make sure that you specify 'ecru' (unbleached white) as the shade if you have the design woven otherwise you'll end up with something that will require sunglasses .
    perhaps more black, then?

I wouldn’t have a tartan made that was pure white. I actually prefer the field of my arms (on which this tartan is based) to be more “off-white” than white.

This one (v.3) now stands at: P16 G56 W32 K8 W8 K32
    Last edited by saharris; 21st December 12 at 06:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast