X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparison of SWK wool kilts

I'm thinking of getting a HW kilt, but I'd like to know from those who own them. I already own a Economy Wool. But how do they compare? Same wool, same constructions, buckles and straps better? Let me know I'd like to have something that I can wear in cooler weather, and better yet something different then just Black Watch and USMC.

Thanks for any input.

-Nik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an SWK economy and can't say I was real happy with it, it just never laid right, but it was too big for me anyway and I ended up giving it away. I now own two SWK heavyweights and am very happy with them. Pretty much the same construction as an economy, and the wool is not what I would call "heavyweight" but they has been keeping me warm as the temperature hovers in the 30's. I have a saffron and solid black and do enjoy the solid colors. For the price I am happy, since I cannot yet afford a "tank", but the kilts are made in Pakistan so the quality is just not going to be what you will get from a hand-sewn made-to-order.
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a while Stillwater offered an Economy Wool in Black Watch and USMC. These are wool kilts at a great price of 90$. Though they share some of the construction of the acrylic economy kilts the differ in the fact they are wool. I have two of the Black Watch economy, i couldnt pass up the bargain. One gets worn every other day if not daily as I would wear a pair of jeans. The other is kept for nicker pub nights and such. These are nice kilts, they fit well and again they are wool. The wool lets them fall nicer from your hips and swing better too.

Your question is differences between these Economy Wool and the Heavyweight. I also recently purchased the Saffron Heavyweight that Stillwater was clearance selling. The price sold me on a kilt I had looked at before. I do like the solid Saffron as you can wear it in fall and also with plaid or check shirts more easily. Holding up the two kilts and giving them an observance they look constructed quite the same. They are both made in Pakistan so if that is a personal issue to you dont buy them. The heavyweight does feel heavier and states on the site it uses 6-8 yards of fabric. The fabric weight I was told by Jerry is the same on both. I did notice pleats to be a bit deeper and the deep front apron pleats to be quite a bit deeper. This will allow for more fabric in construction. Both have selvedge and not hems, double fringe apron, two belt loops, full liner, three straps and buckles. They do not have any under apron canvas for a stiffener or other things a hand made kilt might have. These are nice kilts thought and I wear them often.

Bottom line you are not getting a hand made kilt. People should not even compare these to a hand made kilt but realize they are getting a good wool kilt for a very good price. If money is scarce and you want wool as opposed to acrylic or PV these are good kilts. If you want to toss in more money and get a USA kilts PV then you wont go wrong there either. Again that is apples and oranges and not a kilt to compare to these. You will feel you have a heavier weight kilt from the use of more fabric in the SWK heavy weight as compared to the Economy wool. They will both be made in Pakistan. They also both look nice, fit well, fall well and swish nicely. Ive had many compliments on my Black Watch and hope to get a few on my Saffron.

Hope this helps.

At 90 to 140$ you get a nice kilt.....

If it were hand made I would expect to pay nothing less than 500$

One last note on wearing these kilts in cooler weather. It has been 20 degrees F in the morning here when I go for my 1 mile walk to work. I wear the Economy wool usually and never have an issue. I would think the Heavy weight wool would suffice for cool to cold any day. Today it is 30 out and I look forward to a nice walk to work, Black Watch Economy wool and all..
    Last edited by brewerpaul; 28th December 12 at 09:00 AM.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brewerpaul, thank you. That is really what I was looking for. I think I'll be putting in an order soon for the Saffron HW.

And to reinforce what you said, I know it's not going to be like a USAK, but I'm planning to get one of those later too. I'd just like a nice wool one, and preferably one that give the idea of the true weight.

Again thanks brewerpaul and dutch kilted for the replies.

-Nik