X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan affiliation question

One of the dominant family names in our family is Colbert (pronounced in the English fashion NOT the French fshion). I have found this name tied to the Galloway area. What might e some possible clan affiliations to start with?

We also have the names Shaw (no brainer there, obviously Clan Shaw) and Crumb in our family. I have seen Crumb pop up as being Scottish in some research but very surfacey research there. Didn't really dig into it.

Thank you for your help, folks.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best----in fact the only reliable---way to determine which, if any clan or house your ancestors may have been associated with is genealogical research, starting with one's most recent ancestors, one's parents, and working backward one generation at a time, carefully documenting each before preceding to the previous one.

Galloway is not in the Highlands, so it is doubtful that there is a clan connection from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct me if I am wrong but Galloway is in the southwest of Scotland, right? The Douglas family were the power base there if memory serves.

As far as geneology goes, we came to the United States many years ago (not exactly sure when). Records were poorly kept if at all.

Our ancestors hen settled in the Ozarks for several generations before my grandfather moved the family to California in the 1940s.

I have also found the name tied to England and Ireland BUT given a lot of the cultural and linguistic characteristics inherent to the hillfolk of the Ozarks and the surrounding areas I would lean toward a Scottish origin.

My other grandfather was, as mentioned before, a Shaw. That is a Highland name with a modest but old clan tradition.
    The Official [BREN]

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but Galloway is in the southwest of Scotland, right? The Douglas family were the power base there if memory serves.

As far as geneology goes, we came to the United States many years ago (not exactly sure when). Records were poorly kept if at all.

Our ancestors hen settled in the Ozarks for several generations before my grandfather moved the family to California in the 1940s.

I have also found the name tied to England and Ireland BUT given a lot of the cultural and linguistic characteristics inherent to the hillfolk of the Ozarks and the surrounding areas I would lean toward a Scottish origin.

My other grandfather was, as mentioned before, a Shaw. That is a Highland name with a modest but old clan tradition.
    Yes, there is a large amount of Scottish heritage among the earliest American settlement of the Ozarks, but a majority of that would have been Lowland & Ulster-Scottish blood, and very little from the Highlands. The Scots-Irish who settled this region (which by the time they arrived here were heavily mixed via marriage with English, Welsh and German blood as well) would have not identified with Highland culture. The adoption of Highland attire by those of Lowland and Ulster heritage is a relatively recent innovation.

For more information about the Scottish roots of Ozarks culture, I would suggest the writings of noted folklorist Vance Randolph to you, specifically Down in the Holler, which examines the origins of Ozarks speech patterns, words, etc. and Ozarks Magic & Folklore.

T.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The family of Shaws in the Highlands is of Mackintosh origin, just as are the Farquharsons, MacThomases and MacRitchies. The chief of the Highland Shaws is actually chief of Clan Ay, the second tribe of Shaws after Rothiemurchus. Not all of the name Shaw are Highland. There are actually many, many more Shaws of Lowland and English origin. You don't say where your Shaw grandfather lived in America or where (if) in Scotland he originated. Either bit of information will more accurately place that branch of your family in Scotland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm certain that my grandfather was born in the hills of Kentucky. His father was, I believe, from near Inverness. I will have to double check, though.

Would it be unsuitable for me to wear the tartan of any of the clans you have mentioned above, Thistledown?

Thank you for your help.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can wear any tartan you wish, Bren. Usually we wear our own 'clan' tartan, however. That is, the tartan of our family name or that of the main family in the region from which we are descended. If your great-grandfather on your father's side was from near Inverness, then you could choose the Shaw, or even the Clan Chattan. Of course, there are a multitude of fashion tartans for you to choose from, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, ThistleDown. I am leaning toward Shaw and universals tartans. I would wear Chattan but I'd rather have a more subdued version. I don't really care for orange or other bright colours. I prefer deep, rich, or muted/weathered tartans.

I wish Shaw wasn't considered a "rare" tartan (as per several reputable kiltmakers websites). It'll be a while before I spring for that one.

Thank you for your advice, Sir.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    The family of Shaws in the Highlands is of Mackintosh origin, just as are the Farquharsons, MacThomases and MacRitchies. The chief of the Highland Shaws is actually chief of Clan Ay, the second tribe of Shaws after Rothiemurchus. Not all of the name Shaw are Highland. There are actually many, many more Shaws of Lowland and English origin. You don't say where your Shaw grandfather lived in America or where (if) in Scotland he originated. Either bit of information will more accurately place that branch of your family in Scotland.

Well stated, Rex...ya beat me to it, mate!

Cheers,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome, Bren. I'm not sure which weavers you have checked for Shaw, but I think that Locharron carries it regularly in two of their weights. If so, I suggest Strome. Check on House of Edgar, too, and Scotweb I know carries at least Shaw of Tordarroch off the shelf (and offers XMarks members a discount).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast