X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Chris@southerncelt.com

Cheapkilts wants advice/opinions

Many of you are not familiar with my work as of yet, but there are at least three of you who will be in the next couple of months. Anyway. I was in need of getting some opinions on a business move I had been kicking around.

Tho, I do offer real worsted kilts, most people seem to be more interested in the lower-priced poly/wool and poly/visc kilts. This leads me to believe that perhaps I should gear my whole business to this end. Along with this idea would be the addition of new styles of kilts in the casual solid color twill vein, but of course built in the traditional manner with the proper spread at the hipline across the back, but made to be worn at the fashion waist. I have often admired many of these solid colored kilts, but they all appear to have the same pleat spacing all the way down in the back, and this bothers me. I also have a interest in taking my love for pinstripes out on a kilt.

These are my thoughts. Please feel free to give your opinions, as I am interested in hearing what my fellow kilt-wearers think. Would this be something any of you would be interested in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I am pretty much a traditionalist, I certainly can't deny the popularity of the more modern and trendy styles. I guess my question would be...Is there a problem with diversification without sacrificing the original product? That is - just offer more choices.

Chris@southerncelt.com
    And you have to admit, the pinstripe kilt does kinda sound cool. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris... YOU can have that one! How about a black pinstripe for the Yankee fans, a red pinstripe for the Phillies fans and a blue one for the Cubbie die-hards? Get some team patches for the front placard and you may just have something.

Try one on eBay to see if the fish are biting. We listed one in an Orange and Black tartan with a Philadelphia Flyers emblem on the placard and it went immediately. Just a thought.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting about the solid colour kilts, and the pin stripe kilt. It's the same idea discussed over at Tom's Cafe awhile ago. I believe that Bear is already in the process of making green (irish) kilts along with several other solid colours. He is also working on a pinstripe kilt for Tom Manual. Good idea though.

Colin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cheapkilts.net

Chris, I'd continue to do both... Someone may want a full military weight 18 ouncer, as well as a poly/viscose kilt...
    -J

elijah is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traditional Kilt Selling

The problem with selling the traditional kilt is that there are so many different manufacturers, but doing both as both are custom made makes a lot of sense.