X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FResh haggis...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FResh haggis...

Since I retired from Unca Sam's Kanoe Klub, I have been expanding gardens and working towards raising the majority of our meat..largely out of self defense...( I tried to eat some storebought chicken this weekend, made me ill..) Anyhow, I sent a pair of pigs to freezer camp last week, and as I do my own butchering, I get to keep and use the nasty bits...all the hams are curing, bacon and loins, and I have rendered the heads, livers, lungs, kidneys, hearts and trim to make wurst sausage...and haggis...I have sooo missed decent haggis. Over here though you have to do it yourself to get anywhere. The only thing missing will be having Sailors around to gross out as I eat it...

I really would prefer mutton..someday, maybe.

Anyone else making their own?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I am impressed, mate!
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I can't say that I am. The vegan in me won't allow it, but I agree with your philosophy of raising your own animals for meat. You know what they've eaten, what (if any) medicines they've had, and how clean they were while alive. Plus, you realize just how much work goes into slaughtering and butchering. Back in my meat-eating days I'd have matched you bite for bite on some of that tenderloin, fried good and brown and slipped inside a hot biscuit (American biscuit, that is).
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually cure the loins of these as small canadian bacon..they are pretty small pigs...The new pair I just got will produce larger animals though. but yes, the idea is that I control what goes in, thence what comes out. There is not much way I could give up eating meat, even though, I have gone from my younger days of inhaling all the meat on the plate and picking at the potatoes to inhaling The potatoes and then inhaling the meat..and everything else..lol I had to make a vegan side dish once...I took a pyrex plate full of mixed olives and drizzled them in olive oil and hickory smoked them...then ground them in the food processor...offered vegetarian option with cream cheese, and vegan option just molded into a terrine and offered with water crackers...huuuge hit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hickory-smoked tapenade... hmmm...
    --dbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haggis is the end result of my deer liver and heart. Recipe has been developed from others experience - mostly from a friend, some on here, and some of my own experimentation.

Would be happy to share if you wish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LL Bean Game & Fish Cookbook has a haggis recipe in it. Sounds good, but I rarely eat it, so I'm not too keen on making it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark Ridge Rider View Post
    Haggis is the end result of my deer liver and heart.
    Do you chop the organs up with a knife or grind them in the food processor?
    --dbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdbh View Post
    Do you chop the organs up with a knife or grind them in the food processor?
    Generally grind them in a hand crank food mill, as there is really not enough volume to get the big mill out. Usually about 1 part liver to 3 parts ground meat - heart if I have it, or other lean meat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yielded eight pounds from one head, heart, liver, lungs and kidneys...and a can of Mcann's steel cut oats....I made it a bit spicy...dish a bowl fresh and hot, stirred in a fresh farm egg and let it set, hot cup of coffee...you know how Igo was transported back to his childhood in Ratatouille? I just took a quick trip to the corner chippy at the train station off of George Square, Glasgow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast