X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about kilts and freemasons

I have a question. What is the origin of the association between kilts and the Freemasons?

I told a friend that I had taken to the kilt and he asked me if I was a Mason. I was a bit taken aback. It seemed an odd association on his part.

Any answers? Please no pot-stirring about Freemasonic opinion...only interested in the historical aspects. Thank you.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help you, but there are several Masons here, and I'm sure they'll know the answer.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Thank you for the heads up.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None! One would never be asked that question in Scotland and it suggests that the enquirer was unfamiliar with kilts and assumed it was some form of regalia. No doubt some Freemasons wear their kilt at some social functions/events in the same way that anyone in any other organisation might but there's no historical 'connection' in the way the OP is framed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    None! One would never be asked that question in Scotland and it suggests that the enquirer was unfamiliar with kilts and assumed it was some form of regalia. No doubt some Freemasons wear their kilt at some social functions/events in the same way that anyone in any other organisation might but there's no historical 'connection' in the way the OP is framed.
    The reason I asked was because the friend who asked me WAS unfamiliar with kilts. I was unaware of any historical connection. Just thought that I would put it out there.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen a kilt at lodge or even a ladies night in either England or Ireland, but this is a different matter in Scotland and from what I've seen on the Masonic group on this site, in North America too.
    There is nothing in the ritual that gives the kilt any significance but standards of attire should be high and the kilt certainly delivers on that front.
    John
    Last edited by John_Carrick; 21st January 13 at 01:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right. Thank you, folks. I think that my question has been answered. Moderators, please close this thread.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a mason and so claim no special insight but I know there is a subset of masonry called the Scottish Rite. It is very active here in Canada with a big impressive building in Hamilton where lots of kilts are seen going in and out. I am sure there must be someone on the forum who can tell us the connection between Freemason's and Scotland which led to this.
    Last edited by Singlemalt; 21st January 13 at 03:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I close this thread as per Bren's request I would like to make my own contribution.

Firstly, in case people didn't see the previous announcement there is a group on this site called Kilted Masons which interested parties are welcome to join.

Secondly, although many Masons wear the kilt, it is not any part of Masonic Regalia. The dress standards in many Grand Lodges make no reference to it and, unless it is already a local practice it's best to ask if there would be any objection to attend kilted.

I have been invited to visit a lodge in a neighbouring province to mine later this week and so I asked if it would be OK and have received an affirmative. I am looking forward to that! (Snow permitting!)

Singlemalt - the Scottish Rite did not originate in Scotland, there is also a York Rite but that did not originate in York (the UK one that is.)
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]