X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Healthy debate, good to see. Of course I lean towards Robbies argument but I want to make it clear that I don't put garments like Utilikilts in the same catergory as skirts like one or two nutters at NY wore (complete with high heels).

Utilikilts are kilts, plain kilts. Saying that I wouldn't wear them is partly conditioned by the fact that they are unknown in Australia as far as I know, and therefore not accepted (yet).

With the Ozzie, "matey", 'beer and footy' mindset in this country the wearing of a trad. kilt is radical enough without it's variants.
    So please accept my thoughts as conditioned by my environment and culture (or lack of it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi David E -

To borrow from your own post, apples are apples, oranges are oranges, but both are types of fruit.

Kilts are kilts, skirts are skirts, but both are types of garment.

Can we call it a truce at that??

Robbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    Hi David E -

To borrow from your own post, apples are apples, oranges are oranges, but both are types of fruit.

Kilts are kilts, skirts are skirts, but both are types of garment.

Can we call it a truce at that??

Robbie

You've got my vote!
    blu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all "traditional" kilts were tartan

Please read Bob Martin's "All About your Kilt". Supposedly tweed was used during the nineteenth century. As a side note, over the years I've heard the term "Victorian excess" in reference to architecture, home furnishings, etc.... I think that's what happened to the kilt. Athough no kilt looks as good as a well made eight yard worsted kilt they just aren't very practical. I can't see an eighteenth century highlander using all that fabric when three and a half yards would work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen,

Since it seems I'm the only female on here, I would like to give my opinion on the kilt as a "manly" garment...I have yet to see a man that didn't look masculine in a kilt. There's nothing feminine about it. I don't see the need to add macho accessories to stress the manliness of the wearer. Of course, I'm not a man, so I don't understand the psychology of men, but as far as most women are concerned, I think I can safely say men in kilts are not lacking masculinity; far from it, they appear confident and tuned in to their true self. I applaud men who wear the kilt, because it's not an every day garment in a lot of places. Truth be told, I have never seen a man in a kilt around here unless games are going on. That is sad. I wish at least one of the kiltmakers would come to Sycamore Shoals so the men around here could see the availability, price range, and various fabrics/styles of kilts.
    Thank you for allowing me to express a maybe unwanted opinion, but nonetheless, mine.

Anita

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Anita,
    It's always nice to have a gals point of view to help put things in perspective. I don't believe that the men posting on this forum have concerns about the kilt having feminine connotations. The concern I think lies in the task we face of dispelling the suggestion by ignorant individuals, and by other troubled folks with a vested interest, that there is. There do seem to be places where perhaps for socio-economic reason, non-conformity is a tougher sell than elsewhere. But considering the history of the garment, definitions become a moot point. Regardless, as has been stated many time previously, it's all a matter of how the kilt is worn,....proudly and confidently. That can be daunting for kilt initiates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robbie...

We're not going to agree... but I do agree to the truce! Its not worth falling out over.. life's too short!

Cheers
    David.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Anita, I agree it's nice to have a lassie here, I guess we'll have to behave now

Tell us what your interest is (or have I missed you saying it already?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning,
    Graham, I never want to alter anyone's behavior in any way. I came to this site last month to have a couple questions answered about proper attire for women and the correct tartan to wear when there are several clans in the family tree. The men here were very forthcoming in their opinions, and I have learned a lot since then in the correct way to wear a kilt. I will have a sharp eye out this year at the games! Hopefully, I will not see such a sight as Hank did, with the kilt sideways! not good. I have a 7 month grandson whose heritage in deeply rooted in Scotland, and I want to introduce him to a kilt as soon as he is able to walk well under his own steam.
    My daughters are interested in owning a skirt, as I am. We may attempt making our own, when we find a suitable pattern. So, Graham, That's my story. I came here looking for information, and found it in abundance!
    Be Blessed,
    Anita

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to go for the traditional style during kiltnight, but I wear the non-traditional styles more often just out of ease and practicality. No sense donning my finest traditional style kilt just to do the dishes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234