X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYMSME

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYMSME

New York Million Skirted Men Event (of course!! now you know I'm an outsider 8)

I couldn't resist having a peek at the photos posted on Tom site.

The first thing that hit me was that here was this big show, attracting folk from all over, and the Museum couldn't be bothered slapping a fresh coat of paint on the front of the building!!

I thought it looked very shabby.

What about the skirts? well I saw a few nice kilted men, most casual and a few total weirdos in women's clothing who need serious counselling.

Frankly I'm not sorry I missed being there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After seeing the pictures I thought about the same thing. The intention of the event was to raise awareness that Men can also wear skirts, but some people tried to use the event to legitimise them to wear women clothings.

IMHO, there is a huge different between men in skirts and men in women's clothes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcmtnbka
    IMHO, there is a huge different between men in skirts and men in women's clothes.
    Nice call. I think I'll stick to the Highland Games and the Celtic Festivals! 8)
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

elijah is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted a lot about this on Tom's. Like I predicted back in December, it turned into a freak show.

It was actually not as bad as the press made it, but I honestly don't think it was worth the trip. I have the right to wear whatever I want and what I want to wear is kilts.

I've not worn a pair pants in more than a month and a half, and in the past five months, I've only worn them on four different days.

I would have felt awful spending huge amounts of money to travel to New York when I have not been able to go to events of real importance to our country, or even being able to take my wife somewhere nice on vacation. I certainly would not have been in the middle of that march. 'Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about you, but I have heard enough about this in the past 3 or 4 days. The press wasn't good? I don't remember hearing anything about kilts. IMHO I say it's time to move on from this. It was negative press about skirts not kilts. This is not our fight, so let's wish them luck and discuss our own topics. Kilts are acceptable male clothing. Any restrictions on kilts are in our own mind, and not in the minds of everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word to Big Bird Colin!
    Beannacht Dé,
    Hank
    "...it's the ocean following in our veins, cause its the salt thats in our tears..."

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Colin, we don't need a modern event to justify kilts, we have hundreds of years of history that have done that for us.

I agree also that celtic festivals satisfy my desire to get together with other men in kilts.
    I find myself even more interested in getting to every event I can find in Tasmania.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, what do we do to bring the kilt into a better light? I mean, out side of the obvious of educating the general population? I wear my kilt out all the time. Just last night I was speaking to a youg lad and his mother about the rich history of the kilt. The boy actually asked me if he could bring me to class for show and tell. My lovely bride laughed.
    After that event (which most of you know how I feel about it from kiltmen.com) we need to bring the kilts and their proud owners to a better light. The phrase 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards keeps coming to mind.

Cheers,
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allen,
    Kilts will continue to hold their place in society's mind. We are doing more, simply by wearing our kilts out in public rather than fighting hoping the media will change people's opinions. There seems to be more and more kilted gatherings (The guys in Ontario are putting theirs together right now), and Vancouver is having a week long Celtic festival in March. Our St. Paddy's day parade will be full of kilted guys (Thanks in part to Bear and his awesome organization skills). IMHO I say we just go about our business as usual. Most of the people at Toms or Chris's Atrium don't seem to accept themselves, and are looking for constant reasurances(No disrespect to any of these people. Me personnaly, I'm kilted and confident, and will wear my kilt as often as I can.

Colin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Collin,
    I apriciate what guys like you and Bear are doing. Although, it's quite hard when you have only two die hard kilties in the Denver Metro area. Most people are the ones that come up and say things like "I need to get mine out" or "I have to wear it with a band and I don't want to wear it any more than I have to". I go into my pitch, but people start to get a glazed look over thier eyes. Not true kilties.

Cheers,
    Allen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast