X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inexpensive Accessories

An idea for a section would be were to get inexpensive accessories. We all know were to get the kilts.

Cheers,
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allen-

If you want cheap accessories that are good quality I would suggest Ebay. You will always find a deal on Ebay. It is where I get most of my stuff!
    Beannacht Dé,
    Hank
    "...it's the ocean following in our veins, cause its the salt thats in our tears..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always have bad experiences on Ebay. Anyway, I would rather purchase my things new. This way, I know the history on them for when I pass them down to my kin.

Cheers,
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, allen. Sgian dubhs, sporrans, pins, belts, etc. are probably ok used. Used clothing is something I tend to stay away from though. I don't think I'm being prudish. Used clothing just doesn't feel right somehow. I'd rather buy cheap new than expensive used. Strange but true.

Chris@southerncelt.com
    www.musicbrokers.com has some decent looking day sporrans for 34 bucks. Bout the best I can give on cheap accesories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Blu, I was thinking the kilt, sporran, and anything else that you might want to hang on to. If we have a son, I would like to say something like "Son, your mother gave this to me on our firs wedding anniversary". I think that would be cool. When Mindy and I got married, her mother gave me thier clan badge which was given to her by her father. You just can't get that effect with Ebay. I'm sorry.

Cheers,
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO... E-Bay is the way to go!
    "A chef is someone creative enough to call the same soup a different name every day"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen alot of cool things in catalogs or on Ebay, but I've learned the hard way that you can't judge quality by a picture or a vendors description. Some of my best accesories have come from non-traditional sources. I picked up a sgian dubh from a knife company called Cold Steel. It's not flashy or ornamental but it IS a real honest-to-goodness functional knife (I don't see a reason to carry something that looks like a knife but isn't). They call it the Culloden, by the way, and I picked it up at about 1/3 the price that most vendors are asking for ornamental Sgian Dubhs. I've mentioned in another thread alternative sources for belts. I've seen some Art Nouveau ladies hat and stole pins in local "antique Shops" that would make exellent kilt pins. In the same shops I found some "clutch purses" that would make excellent sporrans with the addition of some tassels and a strap. With a little ingenuity old belts or dog leashes become perfectly servicible sporran straps. Go "outside the box" and you'll start finding useful stuff all around you. The further outside the box you get the more you'll find.

Jamie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the mini cullodens! I dont have one but I will probably get one soon. Suckers are sharp too!
    Beannacht Dé,
    Hank
    "...it's the ocean following in our veins, cause its the salt thats in our tears..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's where you look

Quote Originally Posted by bikercelt1
    ... I've seen some Art Nouveau ladies hat and stole pins in local "antique Shops" that would make exellent kilt pins. In the same shops I found some "clutch purses" that would make excellent sporrans with the addition of some tassels and a strap.
    ...further outside the box you get the more you'll find.

Jamie
    I second that- I've found two servicable alterna-kilt pins, one at an 'antique mall,' the other a ladies' boutique (that one a pretty boss-looking dragon). The antique shop even had dead-on vintage clan badges, kilt pins (of the fancy sort) and a brooch thing for the shoulder plaid. And reasonably priced.

Just look everywhere you go, swing through and glance around. After a while you'll get very good at spotting what you need.

-G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast