X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

TurboKittie is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thrift store finds - kilt pins

Found these today while we were out and about.

Judging by the clasp, the clan badge appears to be old. I am wondering if it's broken or just has a few spots of finish that have worn off. If you look just above the lion's head and around the five o'clock area, you can make them out.

Would a badge have been made without a motto? Also, any idea of age or maker? There are no markings anywhere.

The dirk pin looks to made by a company called Miracle.
    Last edited by TurboKittie; 9th February 13 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what luck! Great find.
    Somebody ought to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Nice finds..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one on the left is a generic 'I'm Scottish' badge. I might be wrong, but I don't think that they make them any more. Manufacturers tend to focus on individual Clan Crest Badges rather than the generic. The central motif can still be found on modern day sporrans. The amount of wear shows age and usage. Some cloth has certainly been rubbing against it for many years. It might very well originate from the 'between the wars' era.

The one on the right is quite distinctively by Miracle. They are a Birmingham (England) based company and have been making jewellery since 1946.

http://www.miraclejewellery.com/

The thing is, they have always done short runs. So yours might be only one of less than 500 world wide. I have a couple of their 'celtic' style broaches, that I am quite pleased with.

For anybody else interested, they do come up on eBay regularly

Good finds - I particularly like the lion. It shows that it has been a favourite for many years.

Regards

Chas

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chas!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chas and Turbokittie, and the rest of the masses

They indeed do still make the generic cap badges although styled a bit differently than the one above, as I too have a rampant lion generic cap badge without motto, purchased within the last 5 years, and have seen others at several of the games over the last few years. I also have a cap badge from Miracle without the center symbol and with the belt motto replaced with several colored stones, that I got off ebay----it works double duty as either a generic cap badge or as an interesting kilt pin.

I've several Miracle pins/broaches purchased off ebay for decent prices that I use as kilt pins. There seems however to have recently been some market recognition of their desirability, as I no longer find them there for the relatively low prices I used to, even some of the identical ones I previously purchased for significantly less have doubled or trebled or sometimes more in asking price.

jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    The one on the left is a generic 'I'm Scottish' badge. I might be wrong, but I don't think that they make them any more. Manufacturers tend to focus on individual Clan Crest Badges rather than the generic. The central motif can still be found on modern day sporrans. The amount of wear shows age and usage. Some cloth has certainly been rubbing against it for many years. It might very well originate from the 'between the wars' era.

The one on the right is quite distinctively by Miracle. They are a Birmingham (England) based company and have been making jewellery since 1946.

http://www.miraclejewellery.com/

The thing is, they have always done short runs. So yours might be only one of less than 500 world wide. I have a couple of their 'celtic' style broaches, that I am quite pleased with.

For anybody else interested, they do come up on eBay regularly

Good finds - I particularly like the lion. It shows that it has been a favourite for many years.

Regards

Chas

Great finds, Laurel and Mickey!

Cheers,

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anybody looking for similar generic cap badges in chrome finish:

Generic Rampant Lion cap badge on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Circular...item257ace30ab

Generic St Andrew with cross cap badge on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Circular...item2577cadf6a

Generic Scottish Stag head cap badge on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Circular...item2577cadf6e

Generic Irish Harp cap badge on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Circular...item484f971e7d

Then there is always the Xmarks cap or the interesting "Illegitimus non carborundum" cap badge shown and described in a different thread. Enjoy.