X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ventura Games; Season Wrap up

Well, I see I have not kept up here but I will say that the season ended on a high note with my best overall games of the year at Seaside/Ventura.

Here is how the Ventura Games came out:

I came in 2nd with a PR in Braemar of 30'.75" Very happy with that as 30' have been a goal for two years.

Overall I achieved my goal of being in the top ten of 50's but barely at #9 and only by a very slim margin.

My 2013 Goals were as follows with what I achieved and my goals for 2014:

Event 2013 Goals 2013 Actual 2014 Goal
    Braemar 30' 30'.75" 32'
    Open 37' 37'.5" 40'
    HWD 37' 34'8" 40'
    LWD 56' 52'10" 58'
    HH 80' 75'4.5" 78'
    LH 96' 89'4" 95'
    WoB 16' 15'6" 17'
    Sheaf 30' 29' 31'

The first challenges are already coming in the off season. Shortly after Ventura I discovered that I had a slight umbilical hernia. Last week I had that repaired. This week I have a deviated septum on one side and a bone spur on the other side of my nose that are going to get taken care of.

Good thing they can be done in the off season but they wreak havoc on training. I have been reviewing the Pockoski videos and in about thirty days when I can began doing it again, I hope to train with some of their footwork drills.

I was just starting to feel more confident in my weights toward the end of the season and I hope to build on that as well as the stones by continuing to work on technique. I finally got the to spin on the HWD started by the last three games of the season and hope to improve on that in the season ahead.

In the hammers, I have to work on more radius and while I made progress this year on keeping the starting point to my right i HAVE ot get my kness bent more and while I made some progress in my release upon being a lift rather than a throw, I HAVE to also get my head OUT of the way and BACK upon release. It is just going to take more practice winds to do this and to get my balance so my knees can bend more and get more radius.

In the WoB, I have maxxed out all I can get just using my abdominal's and back. (May have been where I got the hernia). Now I need to get my legs into it. It is going to mean retooling my swing and timing and I am going to try to work with Kettleballs to help get then renewal without too much of a hitch.

Sheaf is just going to take more practice. I am going to have to look for some kind of technique break through but I am not sure what that is at the time. Sheaf is tough because it is kind of like practicing for golf except that the golf ball is never the same size or shape at any one competition. So you can work on your swing but it will always be challenged by the dimensions of bag you rare throwing. (Plus we only get to throw it in about half of the competitions)

Caber practice is also on hold but I am thinking that I need to take more action to controll the timing of my throw rather than being reactive and starting when the caber starts to fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really good to see you back on the board, Roger. I trust you'll heal quickly so you'll be back on the field in short order. Don't rush it; be smart.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bingo on the caber...proactive, not reactive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember the deal about looking up at the top of the caber when you pull? Good advice.

Congrats on the 30' 7.5" PR in the Braemar. Knew you had it in you.

Once you start using your legs in the throws, there will be no holding you back.

Rest up. Scotland in the second half of the year.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always looking up, old dude!

HAd my follow up with the umbilical surgeon yesterday. He says my new Bionic Abs should be ready for cardio in about two weeks and I can start throwing in about 4 weeks. You guys better look out cuz either my center of gravity will either be zeroed in or guts will be popping out which in either case could be quite a spectacle!

I see the Schnoz Doc today, but when I can keep all the gunk out of my nose it feels like I am getting at least 75% more oxygen intake through the nasal cavity. Won't be able to call me a mouth breather any more! Ha!

Well, here I sit just dreaming about when I can start throwing again. Looks like I might make the Queen Mary games my first! I sure will miss the Chilled Kilt Classic close to home in January this year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger, can we vote on whether we watch you do the center of gravity thing or the guts popping thing?
    This is some new hip-hop dance routine we're talking about, right?
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Martin Roy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the word, Roger? By my reckoning you should be back to the cardio stuff right about now. Are you on track?
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's doing footwork drills, I know that. Marty, you need to join FB!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nose Doc says I have another week or so before I can do Cardio. I have been doing the footwork drills for about a week now. Still constant low level pain in the schnoz. Hoping it will begin to subside soon. However, I AM experiencing a new glorious intake of oxygen through the nasal port which I have never known before!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RogerWS76 For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456