X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare Scottish Targe Auction - Really?

Someone sent me this link for comment about a supposed C18th Targe.

It's not my area of expertise per se but something doesn't ring true and a suspect a later copy and I'm not convinced that the seller knows what they are talking about? Boar's skin! I don't think so.... looks like deer hide to me.

The tartan is Cameron of Erracht and so cannot be earlier than 1793 unless everything we know about it is wrong. The cloth was woven with single spun yarn and may be naturally dyed but that's difficult to tell from a picture.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The auction has concluded. It went for 2,439.50.....is that in British Pounds? wow!
    I think the "bristles" on the hide are too close for a boar.
    Last edited by Tartan Tess; 17th February 13 at 11:26 AM.
    Humor, is chaos; remembered in tranquillity- James Thurber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at the auction and it looked "right as rain" to me, although I wasn't too convinced about the spike. I have seen very few targes that were in 100% original condition, so wasn't put off by the tartan backing as it looked to be a late Victorian addition. Anyhow, I dropped out of the bidding at around the $2000 mark and the eventual buyer, in my estimation, did okay.

There's always a good selection of Scottish arms and armour at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show every March, and it is well worth checking out.
    [SIZE=1]and at EH6 7HW[/SIZE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mac,
    That is the only hair-on-the-front original targe I've ever seen. Are you aware of any others? I agree that the back-side tartan and deer skin straps are later additions, as is the center spike, most likely....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am by no means an expert but I noticed that the corrosion on the tacks holding the tartan in place is consistant with the corrotion matching the tacks on the front of the targe.

I do not doubt that it is an antique but my inexperienced guess is that it is mid-Victorian entirely.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this is interesting. I received an email last night from a friend in Canada who is a targe expert. He has done extensive research on extant targes in Scotland and elsewhere (including x-raying them to study construction methods), and occasionally reproduces absolutely correct reproductions. Anyways, here's a short excerpt from his letter:

"I was doing my usual poke about on the net for targaid, and saw the two threads about "original" targes on the XMarks web site. The most recent thread about the one sold at auction, and the thread that you started. I'm afraid that the poor bugger what bought the one at auction got taken in a BIG way! And the one you posted is recent too. The auction targe was more than likely made in the 1920s. The Royal Ontario Museum has two in it's collection similar in construction, both made in the 1920s and acquired I believe about the same time...."
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    Mac,
    That is the only hair-on-the-front original targe I've ever seen. Are you aware of any others? I agree that the back-side tartan and deer skin straps are later additions, as is the center spike, most likely....
    Brian, the only one I've personally examined was the property of Alex McAdam, an antique arms dealer just outside of Glasgow, and that would have been in 1969 or '70 when I was first dabbling in arms and armour. Anyhow, Alex's targe had about 50% of its hair and about 75% of it's tacks. The provenance was first class as it had come from Twickenham House at the time of the dispersal sale, and had been in the same family ownership until Alex acquired it. (Twickenham House was the London home of the Marquis of Tweedsdale, Secretary of State for Scotland (1742-1746) and Master of Scottish Ordnance. After Culloden a large number of swords, along with other weapons recovered from the battlefield, were sent to Tweedsdale by Cumberland. 150 of these swords were cut up to make pickets in a railing in the garden of the grounds of the house.)

When I said that the targe "looked 'right as rain'", I wasn't implying that it was a genuine 18th century targe, merely that it looked authentic. As far as the sale price, I dug around in my desk and found my absentee bid of US$1,850. On the day, and with me in the room, I was out bid and it went to someone else. As a purely decorative item, I'd valued the targe at about $1,500 and was willing to go a bit more, hence my bid. As to its actual date? Well, having had the opportunity to closely examine it in the room, my best guess was that it was probably an extremely well made late 18th/early19th century targe, with later additions (the tartan fabric) to the back.

When it comes to establishing value, first and foremost it's all about what the other fellow will pay. Suppose you want a nice, swept hilt rapier. You can by an original for around 30k, a superb 19th century German copy for around 10k, or a made in India replica for around $150. The same applies to targes-- an original, 18th century targe (with provenance), in like condition to the one sold at auction last year in Maryland, will set you back vastly more than $2000. Or, for about $300 you can buy a nice wall-hanger at your local Scottish games. And for a good 19th century copy? Well, like I said, it's worth what the other fellow is willing to pay. So, did the guy who bought this targe for $2,400 get hosed (the technical term for over paying at an auction)? Mmm, not really; at the very worst he just paid next year's price.
    Last edited by MacMillan of Rathdown; 20th February 13 at 09:50 AM.
    [SIZE=1]and at EH6 7HW[/SIZE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for the sake of accuracy, there was no office of Secretary (of State) for Scotland until 1886. From time to time there was a post of "Third British Secretary with responsibility for Scotland" but not with any continuity. Presumably that is what the Marquis of Tweedsdale was, the office being abolished in 1746.

Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 20th February 13 at 02:20 PM.