X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fergus I kilted image from 1792

Here's a photo that was just posted on the Scottish Register of Tartans facebook page. It was apparently painted in the year 1792 by John Brown, and is an image of King Fergus I, who according to the script over the image began his reign in the year 3641 anno mundi . I haven't taken the time to try to convert that to the modern calendar, but it is several hundred years "BC".

Take a look at the kilt. From what I can see it is not even a great kilt, but a tailored kilt, accessorized with a cloak of the same tartan material fastened at the neck by a brooch. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but I don't remember seeing historical images of great kilts fastened this way, which is why I'm thinking that the cloak is intended to be a separate item.

Interesting since the earliest known tailored kilts date to the very late 1700's.

Also note the bonnet, which is certainly something that old King Fergus would never have worn. And is that a basket-hilt sword?

So this appears to be an artist in the 1790's placing contemporary clothing and accoutrements on a very, very old Scot. Really interesting.

Looking forward to folks more knowledgeable than I chiming in on this...
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Hiker View Post

So this appears to be an artist in the 1790's placing contemporary clothing and accoutrements on a very, very old Scot. Really interesting.

Looking forward to folks more knowledgeable than I chiming in on this...
    Very interesting indeed and it would be cool to know more about it.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Port Moody, BC, just up in those trees there.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depicting historical or religious figures in contemporary clothing was definitely a thing. This article, though discussing religious pedagogy, is a pretty good example of why.

http://www.adoremus.org/0509Peszek.html

The second illustration on this page is also a good example. The first illustration is just funny.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/4schools/History/Anachronisms.htm

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture is fanciful nonsense I am afraid.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th February 13 at 04:12 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very hard to make conclusions with such a small rendering of the image, I am afraid. But this could very well be an attempt to depict the belted plaid (or feilidh-mor). There are other depictions of the feilidh-mor fastened at the front of the breast in this manner. For example, this painting of Duncan Campbell of Lochow from 1635.

I also think it rather more likely the artist would attempt to portray King Fergus in the feilidh-mor for, as you say, the tailored kilt was still rather a new fashion in the 1790s and it would be unlikely (to my mind) that the artist would depict this ancient king in a style of garment that would be recognized as something very new. Whereas the older feilidh was still being worn and would also be familiar with many as an older, more traditional kilted garment -- and therefore more proper to depict on an ancient king.
    Last edited by M. A. C. Newsome; 20th February 13 at 04:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Hiker View Post
    Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but I don't remember seeing historical images of great kilts fastened this way, which is why I'm thinking that the cloak is intended to be a separate item.
    There is a portrait of Duncan Campbell of Lochow, dated 1635, in which he appears to be wearing a solid red belted plaid, fastened below the throat. I say "appears to be" because his belt is hidden behind a fold in his plaid, so whether it is over or under his plaid is not entirely clear to me. Of course, Duncan Campbell of Lochow died in 1453, some time before the portrait was painted, as well as before the first historical appearance of the belted plaid.