X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so Jock, Lochiel was present when McLean of Dochgarroch stated that it was acceptable to wear Cameron of Erracht and also Duncan Cameron, Clan Cameron commissioner wears it without reproach. However what is in Lochiels mind we will never know unless he makes a contradictory statement.

Perhaps, if the opportunity arises at your next shoot, you might pose the question. If you do I will make sure the Test is full of salmon for your next visit.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon, thank you for posing the question to Lochiel.

Officially unifficial or unofficially official. Classic.

I will have to give this one some more thought.
    Last edited by TheOfficialBren; 25th February 13 at 08:28 PM.
    The Official [BREN]

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To back up what Grizzly said: The Very Rev Alan Maclean of Dochgarroch is the son of the late Loraine Murray (Calvert) Maclean of Dochgarroch, who was the great, great, great grand-daughter of Sir Alan Cameron of Erracht. She was president of the Inverness Field Club, the first female president in its 150+ years, I believe. She was author of -- among other writings --'Ìndomitable Colonel', the biography of her ancestor, the sole founder and first Colonel of the 79th, the Cameron Highlanders.

It is, of course, Lochiel who declares which tartans are acceptable to him as the Cameron chief and not a Maclean or a Cameron commissioner, but I strongly suspect that Dochgarroch will have had his agreement prior to making that statement. Mind you, I would like to see it in writing by Lochiel somewhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rex thank you very much for the background info, I did not know of quite where McLean of Dochgarroch fit into the picture.

Maybe I have sparked a little thought in Duncan Cameron's mind to raise the question with Lochiel at some point, but I won't hold my breath.
    Best regards
    Simon

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know Duncan Cameron, Simon, or his relationship to/with Lochiel, but in the absence of 'official' word from Himself we may want to go with what you heard Dochgarroch say with your own ears (?) and what Jock has seen with his own old eyes. Keeping in mind, of course, that the late Sir Donald was Honourary Colonel of a territorial battalion of the Queen's Own Highlanders (the amalgam of the Camerons and Seaforths) from the late 60s and it may just have been in recognition of that honour that he wore the trews Jock saw him in.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 25th February 13 at 11:50 PM. Reason: how many mmmmmms in amalgam?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear I am talking about the present Lochiel(who, I am pretty sure, served in the TA as a young man). If you want to see the trews for real, so to speak, see if you can google "Castle Commando" an interesting BBC(I Think)TV program about the Commandos and Achnacarry. Somewhere in there you will see the present Lochiel talking to a retired Royal Marine Major about times past----and the tartan trews.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th February 13 at 03:54 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    As it not been adopted by the Clan Chief as per the S.R.O.T. Registration notes: Designed for the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders raised by Alan Cameron of Erracht in 1793. It was never adopted by the clan. Further information can be found in 'The Scottish Regiments', 2nd edition, by Dr. Diana Henderson. HarperCollins Publishers, 1996. It is also classed as a military tartan by that institution, so there is no clan affiliation. I believe that Tobus has a ex army kilt in this tartan, but I don't know if he has any affiliation with a regiment that wore it.

I don't really know if you would put it in the "universal" class or not
    Just for the record, and to clear up any confusion, the ex-MOD kilt I have is QOH, Seaforth (MacKenzie), not COE.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad Tobus, thanks for correcting me, age does not weary me but plays hell with the memory sometimes.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking that I will write directly to Lochiel on this matter. As I have never written to a Clan Chief before is there a correct form of salutation that I should use?
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good question, Simon. I have no idea how to contact a chief, let alone how to address him.

I would be curious to know if any sitting chiefs or any of their close retinue are x-markers.
    The Official [BREN]

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast