X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopper250 View Post
    ... and The Last of the Mohicans (for the 3rd or 4th time).
    Love James Fenimore Cooper...and in particular, I LOVED "The Deerslayer"
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I]I'm only off-kilter when my kilt is off.

[/I][/COLOR][I]"I'll take a Scot on the rocks. *wink* " [/I]<--- by far the best pick-up line I have ever heard [COLOR=#0000cd][/COLOR]:lol:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes - Christopher Hibbert
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after typing my introductory post yesterday, I felt like re-reading the book mentioned in it:

Scots' Corner, A Local History, B.L. Cameron & J.L. McLennan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adempsey10 View Post
    Shatner is one of my personal heroes but have you ever read the Tek Wars series..... Bloody awful.
    I've heard of it but never read it. I mostly love Shatner for his awesome sense of humour but I should try to read one of his books. ;) lol

Silk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes - Christopher Hibbert
    What do you think of it? It sounds like an interesting read. I tend to look for stuff like that too. I have actually spent some time on Google Books looking at old books from New York that were written during or just following the American Revolution, discussing what went on. It's really something when you see a book from the 1700s talking about your ancestors and the kind of conditions of that time. It gives a whole different perspective to the popular view of events I find. It's sort of like you have to read both Loyalist accounts and Rebel accounts to piece together what was actually going on from both perspectives! Luckily we live in a day and age where we can do this more and more thanks to the ability to view sources right from that time!

Silk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I've heard of it but never read it. I mostly love Shatner for his awesome sense of humour but I should try to read one of his books. ;) lol

Silk

Get his memoir on audiobook. It's a good book and listening to him read it to you will melt your ears, in a good way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SorenMacTavish View Post
    Love James Fenimore Cooper...and in particular, I LOVED "The Deerslayer"
    A good book but not my favorite. He really was at the end of his career and was well polished when "Deerslayer" was written, which made it a very smooth read and quite enjoyable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    That sounds facinating. I'll have to look for that one when I have a book budget again. (I spend to much on books and have been limited to $50 a year...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adempsey10 View Post
    Get his memoir on audiobook. It's a good book and listening to him read it to you will melt your ears, in a good way.
    You know I find audiobooks too expensive. I did have a brief subscription to one company that let you listen to all the books you could (no limits) for just $19.99/month and they were current books too, not old old ones but I just have too many expenses for the job market I'm living in so I couldn't keep it up. I also have a real problem with having too many books (in physical form) already. lol I have made myself donate and give away a lot of my collection though to make room and I find that I usually now buy Kindle books because 1) no clutter, 2) I can pull it up and read it wherever I am so I always have my collection with me to refer to and enjoy (which is particularly great when I'm waiting somewhere or wanting to refer to information,) 3) I can't damage it! and 4) I have my Mom set up to share my Amazon account so any book I buy she can read as well for no extra charge and 5) last but not least, many Kindle books are free or 99 cents or at least $5 and under. I will check out his books when I am on Kindle next!

Silk

P.S. For any non-Americans out there considering going Kindle, I definitely recommend you sign up under Amazon.com and not the Amazon for your country. I have my collection on Amazon.com because books are usually cheaper and you don't have the limitations of "sorry this book is not available in your region" to worry about.
    Last edited by Silk; 1st August 13 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incroyable Monsieur!

Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast