X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really want to know?

Dangerous Words; Talking About God in an Age of Fundamentalism by Eberle, and a re-read of The Last Week; What the Gospels Really Teach Us About Jesus's Final Days in Jerusalem by Borg & Crossan.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Silenced Majority by Amy Goodman of Democracy Now Radio
    Out Of Oz by Gregory Maquire The Final Volume in the Wicked Years.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished Clancy's Threat Vector. An awesome read - if you like that kind of story - and also quite scary. Scary? Yes, because some of what he wrote about a year ago has come to light in the media within the last couple of weeks. 1) Hacking attempts across the US coming from a (particular) place in China, similar to that described in the story; and 2) a recent congressional hearing about the possibility of hijacking military drones by hacking the GPS system - acts of which kicked off Clancy's plot.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War' by Thomas DiLorenzo. Interesting read.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a break from Pratchett's Discworld series, now reading Isaac Marion's Warm Bodies.
    Eric

"Bones, Spock, Kirk - They were three different people from three different places. Especially Spock."

Port Moody, BC, just up in those trees there.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now just mandated reading: Richard Feldman's Reason and Argument for a philosphy course, and The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems to get our kid to consistently sleep through the night.
    I did, however, recently read and enjoy Gun Machine by Warren Ellis, Cold Days by Jim Butcher and REAMDE by Neal Stephenson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also been thumbing through "Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes."
    Great book! Very insightful and a little ego-deflating.
    Last edited by TheOfficialBren; 1st March 13 at 07:24 PM.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last month, one of the books of choice was The Vikings by Robert Ferguson. It's a good introduction to viking and Norse history. The book on the must study pile is on pharmaceutical calculations. The current fun book is The Endless Knot, part of the Song of Albion series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailortats View Post
    I usually have two books going at once. One for livingroom reading and one for bedroom reading. As luck would have it I finished both books in the last two days. The livingroom book was Lives of Ancient Egyptians by Egyptologist Toby Wilkinson and the bedroom book was Deceptions of WWII by William B. Breuer. Now I have to find 2 new books to start reading.
    And that's not counting the bathrooms!

AJBryant, I sent the picture you posted to my wife, and she got a kick out of it.

I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula once again, along with Standards for educational and psychological testing by more people than I am feeling up to listing at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little SF...

Torch of Freedom by David Weber and Eric Flint. A side story from the Honor Harrington universe...
    ---
    "Integrity is telling myself the truth. Honesty is telling the truth to other people." - Spencer Johnson

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast