X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 71 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished The Art of the Infinite: The Pleasures of Mathematics by Robert and Ellen Kaplan. It's a very entertaining book if you are into mathematics. The comments and asides make for a very clever writing style and not what you might expect. The two professors are very good writers aside from the math, and you don't have to be a mathematician to appreciate the book.

But then, my wife says I'm a nerd for reading such things, so there is my disclaimer.

I also recently read The Last Passenger by Manel Loureiro. It's OK for putting yourself to sleep at night, but it's really pretty weak over all. I do not recommend it. But since I got it cheap on the Kindle, I'm good.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to thescot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently reading Y-Size Your Businessby Jason Ryan Dorsey. A good read if you want to better understand Millennials. If you manage in a multi-generational workplace, then I suggest that you should get to know this generation better. "Boomer" assumptions don't work with these folks, at all. Dorsey is on the speaker circuit, as well. Very entertaining and informative.
    St. Andrew's Society of Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    The Return of George Washington: Uniting the States, 1783-1789 by Edward Larson is a very good, well-reearched book as well if you haven't read it. It mostly focuses on the period between Washington's resignation as Commander in Chief and his being drafted as president.
    This sounds good! I've got another GW bio to go: "George Washington: A Life" by Ron Chernow. This one seems more exhaustive, but if it doesn't flesh out the in-between years better than the other two, I may get your suggestion. (I may still get it!) Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viking Economics by George Lakey
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... what are you reading? - - "Feuds of the Clans" & "Do Not Forget" (Kindle)

I downloaded a book from Amazon, I think it is titled "Feuds of the Clans" (I'd have to go grab my tablet to confirm it). Think it cost $1.99 - there was another version of this same title, but it cost a bit more (I am pretty certain it is the same book, but put into ebook format by another publisher). Heck, if I looked, since the content is probably all past copyright, I might have found it for free elsewhere in PDF format.

It was originally compiled in 1901 or close to it. 1 part is a manuscript from like the 1400 or something & another was late 1800s & then some other parts from in-between those times. I'm writing this from memory of reading the forward, so not 100% of the dates. I know some of the feuds listed are from like 1140 AD & onwards. I'm not finished w/ the book, but I can't remember the earliest feud written about.

It is sometimes almost funny what the feuds were about (ex. cutting the tail hair off of horses), but the death toll from these insults, however big or small, could wipe out an entire male line of a family. Obviously, some feuds were a bit more serious than others, but many are truly matters of just insult & not actual harm or injustice. It's often been said that if the Scots had been able to stop fighting each other, they would have had their full sovereignty from England so very long ago.

I'm also reading a book of quotes/proverbs called "Do Not Forget" (think it cost $0.99/Kindle) & it is wisdom from the Irish that used to be passed down from grandparents & parents to children, but is being lost. Particularly as the Gaelic language was often banned & at several times almost lost to history. Most of the sayings are translated in English, but some are given in Gaelic.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jfone For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Behind Enemy Lines,
    The Autobiography of Sir Tommy MacPherson. 1920 -2014
    Military Medal *3, Croix de Guerre *3, legion d'Honneur, a Papal knighthood and a British knighthood.

One amazing and brave character, when serving with the commandos he was captured when a submarine failed to pick them up after a reconnaissance mission in Libya. After several failed escape attempts he eventually escaped via Sweden.

Within days of returning to the UK he had more special training with the SOE and then the fun? Really started. He was dropped into France in 1943 wearing the uniform of his parent regiment the Cameron Highlanders ( including kilt while parachuting!!!!). And spent over a year behind Enemy Lines in uniform blowing things up, gaining a 300,000 Franc reward on him " the kilted killer" by the Germans. When the Germans started withdrawing he persuaded a column of 23,000 to surrender to him till the Americans turned up to take over.

They then dropped him behind lines again in northern Italy blowing up things again against the German army and also trying to stop Tito's communist forces taking northern Italy!!!.

Post war he served Royalty as an equerry and as a tutor. Also remaining in the reserves / territorial army S.A.S. till the 1960s . A very successful business life followed.
    Also a very good athlete having beaten Sir Roger Bannister and Emil Zatopek in some races he missed the 1948 Olympics due to illness. And was on the edges of being an international rugby player like his brother.

This is a very good read of a book, by a very brave man....
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every few years I retread John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. Pick up things I either forgot or didn't know.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GMan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Culloden Tales: Stories from Scotland's Most Famous Battlefield" by Hugh Allison. Author is a tour advisor for the battlefield site. The text begins with a little bit of history leading up to the epic battle. Later, Mr Allison retells stories about those that have visited the site and questions they had asked. Light reading but rather enjoyable.

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Over 1000 pages long, and I'm about two thirds finished. I can't say for sure what it s about, but I am really enjoying it.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Now reading Edgar Rice Burrough's Synthetic Men of Mars and plan on following that up with Sir Walter's The Monastery and The Abbott. Then I'll probably go to Wilson's Tales of the Borders and of Scotland Volume 3.
    Well, I finished Scott's The Monastery and decided to get into Wilson's Tales of the Borders and of Scotland Volume 3 straight away. Reading the second tale now - "The Whitsome Tragedy" by John Mackay Wilson. I'll probably go back and get to The Abbott, then read another of E. R. Burrough's "Mars" series.
    John

Page 71 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast