X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb website Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Louisville, KY, USA (38 13' 11"N x 85 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Well, I finished Scott's The Monastery and decided to get into Wilson's Tales of the Borders and of Scotland Volume 3 straight away. Reading the second tale now - "The Whitsome Tragedy" by John Mackay Wilson. I'll probably go back and get to The Abbott, then read another of E. R. Burrough's "Mars" series.
    Finished Wilson's Tales of the Borders and of Scotland Volume 3 and decided to take a left turn and read Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica instead. I'm finding I need to read a lot more classical philosophy (Plato, Socrates, Maimonides, etc.) in order to really understand some of the arguments and counter-arguments, but I'm going to push on though.
    John

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished The Traditional Boyers Bible, vol 1 and just started The Highland Clearances by John Prebble. I am on page 14, so still early.

Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered a two volume set by Ronald Black, "The Campbells of the Arc." Could be an enjoyable epic.

And so now that they are in hand: The Campbells of the Ark, Men of Argyll in 1745, Volume 1: The Inner Circle.

I wanted to know what life was like for my family in Scotland during this time, and these volumes should provide invaluable insight. Lots of gaelic already in the preface along with the English translation, so this should also prove interesting with my current quest to learn gaelic.
    Last edited by javankrona; 5th June 17 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Update

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273