X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Well, I finished Scott's The Monastery and decided to get into Wilson's Tales of the Borders and of Scotland Volume 3 straight away. Reading the second tale now - "The Whitsome Tragedy" by John Mackay Wilson. I'll probably go back and get to The Abbott, then read another of E. R. Burrough's "Mars" series.
    Finished Wilson's Tales of the Borders and of Scotland Volume 3 and decided to take a left turn and read Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica instead. I'm finding I need to read a lot more classical philosophy (Plato, Socrates, Maimonides, etc.) in order to really understand some of the arguments and counter-arguments, but I'm going to push on though.
    John

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished The Traditional Boyers Bible, vol 1 and just started The Highland Clearances by John Prebble. I am on page 14, so still early.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered a two volume set by Ronald Black, "The Campbells of the Arc." Could be an enjoyable epic.

And so now that they are in hand: The Campbells of the Ark, Men of Argyll in 1745, Volume 1: The Inner Circle.

I wanted to know what life was like for my family in Scotland during this time, and these volumes should provide invaluable insight. Lots of gaelic already in the preface along with the English translation, so this should also prove interesting with my current quest to learn gaelic.
    Last edited by javankrona; 5th June 17 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hero of the Empire by Candice Millard
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not reading yet, but just picked up Astrophysics For People In A Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

First page awesomeness:

image.jpg
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Scottish Covenanter Stories: Tales from the Killing Time" by Dane Love

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Charliezeta For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Day of the Jackal

Just started the The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jumary For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My " on the road " read is a book written in 1947 by naturalist Frank Fraser Darling called " Natural History In The Highlands and Islands ". Amazing and entertaining book despite the somewhat dry title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland (by Samuel Johnson) with The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides (by James Boswell)

I typically do not read history books but an English friend recommended this. Written, and spoken, English was expressed quite differently in the late 1700s to say the least, and although I'm struggling through some sections, most is quite enjoyable, especially since I've visited almost all of the Scotland locations these two gentlemen write about, albeit 2+ centuries later!

The Amazon summary:

In 1773, the great Samuel Johnson–then 63–and his young friend and future biographer, James Boswell, traveled together around the coast of Scotland, each writing his own account of the 83-day journey. Published in one volume, the very different travelogues of this unlikely duo provide a fascinating picture not only of the Scottish Highlands but also of the relationship between two men whose fame would be forever entwined.

Johnson's account contains elegant descriptions and analyses of what was then a remote and rugged land. In contrast, the Scottish-born Boswell's journal of the trip focuses on the psychological landscape of his famously gruff and witty companion, and is part of the material he was already collecting for his future Life of Samuel Johnson, the masterly biography that would make his name.

Read together, the two accounts form both a unique classic of travel writing and a revelation of one of the most famous literary friendships.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DRM1956 For This Useful Post:

Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast