X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 75 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post

So, I'm going to move on to something a little lighter for a while and (maybe) come back to this later. Maybe Plato's Republic
    Plato's Republic will disappoint, unless you like the idea of a society run my philosopher kings ... translation ... political elites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received "The Campbells of the Ark: Men of Argyll in 1745" (2 vol.) by Ronald Black. It uses a Gaelic poem (An Airce - a work by a MacDonald poet telling how the various Campbells should be punished (or not) in a great flood for their role in opposing Prince Charlie's rising) to tell the tale of the 65 companies of the Argyll Militia during the '45 Rising. Vol I tells the story of the Militia in the rebellion, and Vol II delves into the details of each individual militia company (and their commanders). Right now I'm skipping around in the text, latching on to the meatier parts. The amount of detail the author includes (complete with Gaelic/English sections of the poem interspersed throughout) is amazing and reflects on the depth of his research into period materials, although I'm not finding anything (yet) concerning Highland dress, uniforms, or weapons used by the militiamen.

Based on what I've seen in these books so far, I highly recommend them if you're interested in the '45 and its minutia, the Gaelic language, or even genealogical purposes.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Orvis For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. It reminded me very much of Orwell's 1984. Useful reading.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by javankrona View Post
    Plato's Republic will disappoint, unless you like the idea of a society run my philosopher kings ... translation ... political elites.
    Although it is seemingly impossible to divorce the ideal from reality the idea is not one of political elites which would denote the ideas of entitlement and inherited position. Rather the idea was one of ideal fit to position as determined on a generational basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started, "A Cast of Falcons" by Steve Burrows. It's a contemporary birder murder mystery set in the Western Highlands of Scotland. It has a slow start with an intro of several characters. It was an Xmas gift, but I began it just last evening. I'll give a report when I'm done. So far, no political elitism.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jack Daw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually just finished last weekend a re-read of a book from my days at Catholic High School, by the Catholic Press called. "Mr. Blue", for some reason I have had this urge to read it once more, and I actually got more out of the book this time around, then I did in High School. But I can see why they wanted us to read it.

Also reading Essential Histories, "The Jacobite Rebellion", 1745-46, by Gregory Fremont-Barnes. Although very generalized, it does provide a very good timeline of the events leading up the Rebellion. My problem, being American, hard to follow all the different monarchs and royalties, not just in England, but in Europe on how much they were intertwined with England. Sometimes I have to re-read, or go back several pages....but enjoying it.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 17th August 17 at 06:26 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply love all books by Joel C. Rosenberg! Next to that I'm delving into the Outlander series (page 1033 of book five! ) Pfff nearly there only two more books to go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finishing...A Walk in the Woods,by Bill Bryson.

Already started...The Steel Bonnets, by George MacDonald Fraser.
    KD

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked this up from the author on Friday. I am looking forward to the launch party where I plan to wear my bespoke Scottish Wildcat Tartan kilt suit.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cormac McCarthy The Road
    Last edited by GMan; 23rd September 17 at 06:09 AM.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Page 75 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast