X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Question for Al

North Carolina is home, Maryland is just a place I live
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for Al

Hey Al. I saw the picture of you in the Davidson tartan at Tulloch Castle. I am curious. Do you belong to the Davidson's? My mother is a MacLeod and my father was adopted at 3 but has an older sister. We did not know much about his family except his sister. A couple of years ago, we did some searching and found that my father, who is a Davis from Scotland, belongs to the Davidson's. Since I grew up knowing I was a MacLeod, I am closer with my MacLeod heritage than with the Davidson.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davidson clan et al

Hi David,

I can't be much help to you, I'm afraid. I am not Scottish and have, to my knowledge, no recent direct Scottish decendancy.

My dads parents (Grandad was a Davison, Grandma a Davies) were Welsh and heralded from Buckley in North Wales. This name is heavily associated with an area between Chester and St Asaph. (The Davies tartan is likely to be my next kilt).

The 'Scottish' Davidson Clan suffered great losses in battle during the 16th,17th and 18th Centuries and ended up in the lowlands around Stranraer.

One school of thought is they set up trade routes and travelled into North Wales over the sea.

I was born in the North East of England where there is great affinity and support of all things Scottish. So Burns Night and New year are notable. We also have a number of pipe bands, Scottish and Highland dancing clubs. Kilted weddings are fairly common.

The fact that Davison is a Sept of Davidson lead me to Tullock. With such a sea of tartan to choose from, it seemed logical to go with the Davidson, even though my Scottish roots are suspect. (Not that that really matters these days).

I notice that many Clans list the criteria for membership. The last one always reads, anyone with a love of Scottish culture and respect of the Clan can wear their tartan.

Al