X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nick. I am very happy with the 15 oz, particularly with the acres of cloth needed to make my new kilt, but had I known I would have ordered 18oz. Still, this is interesting news for my sons as they love the sett and "Wilson" colours, but were critical of the weight(not the quality)of the tartan.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nick. I am very happy with the 15 oz, particularly with the acres of cloth needed to make my new kilt,
    Jock, does this mean that you will then have ... um ... err ... um... two kilts?!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted scholar View Post
    Jock, does this mean that you will then have ... um ... err ... um... two kilts?!
    It does indeed!The last time I was in the plural kilt-wise was, ooooh I don't know, but say 20 years ago.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick,

I've emailed your folks and they've confirmed that I need only place the order in the default 13oz, then they can change it to 15oz once the order is in the system. I should be able to place an order in about 10 days when the rest of the funds become available.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My order has been placed.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock with TWO kilts?!
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a newbie I'm not sure if it is the right place here for my comment.
    I wondered if Mr. Fiddes could give us an insight into why a kilt in "design your own" tartan costs more when machine sewn (Balmoral £1035) than hand sewn (DC Dalgleish £877).

And since I'm considering a own tartan kilt I would appreciate if someone could say about how much more one would have to pay in 15oz or 16oz compared to the 13 oz (is it for 1 kilt closer to £50 or £100). Being swiss I just don't like to clog up customer-service when I'm not sure if I will be a customer .

Obviously I understand if that is a industrial secret.
    Last edited by Carlo; 10th April 13 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Edited one of the many spelling misshaps :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Mr. Fiddes could give us an insight into why a kilt in "design your own" tartan costs more when machine sewn (Balmoral £1035) than hand sewn (DC Dalgleish £877).
    Carlo,

I can't speak to the pricing, but I own an 8yd Balmoral AND two lovely "8yd hand-sewn by D.C. Dalgliesh" kilts (which I received just last week), and all were ordered through Scotweb. I can tell you that either product is a quality item! My Balmoral is made from a 16oz Lochcarron weave, while the two hand-sewns are both 15oz Dalgliesh fabrics. I have a third 8yd hand-sewn by D.C. Dalgliesh kilt on order, also in 15oz Dalgliesh fabric.

Which ever way you decide to go, you will not be disappointed. They are both wonderful products!
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the first part, I think there must be something wrong with the scotweb site because with Kilt outfits the Balmoral would be cheaper than the Dalgliesh.

Second part, I thought you bought the last kilt as a "design your own" in 15oz Dalgliesh instead of the 13oz on the website. I was wondering about that price difference.

Sorry if I'm confusing, english is a second language.
    Anyway thank you for the answer, if I create my own tartan Dalgliesh will surely get the order

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Second part, I thought you bought the last kilt as a "design your own" in 15oz Dalgliesh instead of the 13oz on the website. I was wondering about that price difference.
    You are correct. In total, I ordered three of the hand-sewn kilts. The first two were in existing, registered designs. The third is in a tartan of my own design. But your original question was with regard to the difference in price between the Balmoral, and the hand-sewn. Only Nick can answer that.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast