X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb A question for the Single Malt crowd

I am not a whisky drinker. This dates back to a time when I was one and overindulged to the point that the mere smell of anything in the whisky/whiskey family made me turn green and my stomach to gurgle uncomfortably. But I digress. Anyway I have been trying to overcome that demon by degrees for more than a decade. It started when someone gave me a bottle of The Glenlivet (12-yr) for one of those significant birthdays. I thought I would use it to ease my way in. But more than 10 years on and I still have it. At an event last year, though, the bar had a poor variety of beers (all American), but had Laphroaig (I think it was the 18-yr). I gave it a try and, not wanting to drink too much, I had them add some cold water (no ice). I was amazed at how different it tasted from my The Glenlivet. And I really liked it a lot.

So what is my question? Well, I happen to have a sampler of single-malt whiskies (50ml each) and I was wondering if you experienced single-malt Scotch drinkers could help me figure out how these compare - not in quality per se; I know everyone has different tastes; but in character - to The Glenlivet and Laphroaig.

So here is what I have:
    • Cragganmore (12-yr)
    • Dalwhinnie (15-yr)
    • Glenkinchie (10-yr)
    • Oban (14-yr)
    • Talisker (10-yr)
    • Lagavulin (16-yr)

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
    Kenneth Mansfield
    NON OBLIVISCAR
    My tartan quilt: Austin, Campbell, Hamilton, MacBean, MacFarlane, MacLean, MacRae, Robertson, Sinclair (and counting)

Duncanofcolorado is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might help: If you google single malt whisky flavor map you should find maps that show many of the whisky distillers broken up into smoky, rich, delicate and light. There are a few of these maps out there so look at them all and they should help with comparisons without peoples biases.

Port Moody, BC, just up in those trees there.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a "Classic Malts of Scotland" sampler. I haven't tried all of those, but Oban is like sipping smoky honey, and Lagavulin, though an acquired taste, is incredible. I could just sit and sniff the vapours.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you liked Laphroaig (which is a powerhouse of a malt), you'd probably be best served with another Islay Whisky or barring that, Talisker, which is from Skye, but also a big, peaty, sea-infused malt.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tomatin Flavour Map.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	10282

I found this flavor map on Tomatin's site. Gives a quick comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi slackdrummer, I too had the same problem of over indulgence. I now enjoy many single malts and my experience was similar to yours, I was given a bottle of talisker very smoky but it got me past my self induced aversion and I now prefer the Islay and island malts but also drink the usual highland malts. I agree with artificer try the islay malts this in my experience wil allow you in time to enjoy malts from all regions.
    Regards David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am British, - a Real Ale drinker. I do not like Whisky (or any other spirit/liqor). However, for all you whisky fans amongst the rabble, there is a pub/inn about 40 miles from my house called 'The George' at Leadenham in Lincolnshire. It sells virtualy EVERY whisky there is (700 +) - from £2.10 to £350 a shot. ($3 - $525...........YES!!!!!!! $525!!!!!!!).
    Here is their website:
    http://www.thegeorgeatleadenham.co.uk/whisky
    It is full of imformation about the pub, and has many useful links about whisky.
    (.......I wish I could find a pub that sold every ALE!...........watch this space - I will keep searching!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An important aspect of Scotch is the fun of tasting. There are so many varieties in flavor; not just among distilleries but also within the aged batches of a single distillery. Take your time to sample and sip and smell what you have, and see what flavors appeal. Added water is a factor as well. Try a couple sips and then add a drop or two of good water, no more than that. Again, each scotch will react differently, some by opening up, others by merely watering down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out ralfy.com
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackerDrummer View Post
    ... So what is my question? Well, I happen to have a sampler of single-malt whiskies (50ml each) and I was wondering if you experienced single-malt Scotch drinkers could help me figure out how these compare - not in quality per se; I know everyone has different tastes; but in character - to The Glenlivet and Laphroaig.

So here is what I have:
    • Cragganmore (12-yr)
    • Dalwhinnie (15-yr)
    • Glenkinchie (10-yr)
    • Oban (14-yr)
    • Talisker (10-yr)
    • Lagavulin (16-yr) ...
    First, I suggest that you blind test yourself and group them into "similarity" bins based on your own "taste". You may want to do that before you read on ...

To a first-order approximation I would group them as follows:

Glenlivet: Cragganmore, Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie
    Laphroaig: Talisker, Lagavulin

Oban will be "different" from either group, but you may regard it as closer to one than the other. Let us know.

Since you liked the Laphroaig, you likely will prefer "peaty" scotches. The others are generally not considered peaty.

The Oban is a "briny" scotch - stored in barrels in warehouses close to the sea, so it picks up some of the "salty/briny" character of the ocean. The Old Pulteney distillations (especially the 21-yr.) are even more dramatic examples of this style. Oban 18 is one of my favorite malts.

Good luck deconstructing your sampler. I'm pretty sure I tried a sampler pack with the same whiskies some years ago. It was great fun.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast