X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St. Andrew's Society Los Angeles, Tartan Day Dinner

What I know:
    Los Angeles, CA
    The St. Andrew's Society of Los Angeles and Ventura Seaside Highland Games will once again jointly sponsor a gala Tartan Day Dinner at the historic Tam O'Shanter Inn, a favorite Scottish gathering spot in Los Angeles, on Saturday, April 6, 2013. Music by vocalist/guitarist Peter Romano of the Ploughboys and piping by Cindi McIntosh, official piper of the British Consul General of Los Angeles Dame Barbara Hay and of the Chief of the Seaside Games John E. Lowry. The beautiful Bonnie Prince Charlie Room will be packed to the rafters with tartan-garbed Scotophiles from near and far. Dinner will be a selection of special entrees including the Lawry's Restaurant chain's famous prime ribs of beef! Learn a bit of Tartan Day history and just what part tartans have played in our Clans' lives throughout history. Come to L.A. and join in on April 6th for a grand time! See St. Andrew's Society of Los Angeles or call 818-886-4968 for more information.

Bob and I were invited by my sister, who is friends with the Seaside Games organizers. Can't tell you much more than that!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool! I would love to attend but I am not a member.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're not members either, not sure about my sister. I posted this because if they still had two seats going begging (for Bob and me, as of yesterday) they might have a few more to fill with the rabble.

The info I posted came from a third-party website, anybody can find it by Googling, so perhaps not as closed/restricted as it might sound. Seems every time somebody shares pics from an event, somebody else says "wish I'd known about it!" so I thought I'd spread the word, albeit short notice.

Or did you enquire and get told members only? That would change things. . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on the St Andrews Society website and based upon the high brow nature of their events made the assumption that they are members- or guests-of-members-only.

I could be wrong.

I will say that they are very much the black tie and dinner attire crowd; more affluent older folk.

The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, we've been instructed that this is full-on formal Highland attire (although dinner will be served at 4:30 p.m., which some on this forum would say excludes it from the realm of evening-wear formality LOL). That said, as is typical of SoCal I fully expect to see a full range of kit. . . will never forget the black shirt emblazoned with very colorful NASCAR badges that one fellow paired with his trews at our "formal dress" clan dinner! And that wasn't a matter of "he didn't have any better," as I've seen him in all sorts of garments over the years.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying your "members only" post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome, mate.

Enjoy the dinner, post pix.
    The Official [BREN]