X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever shopped here? Checking out tartan fabric.

I found this site while looking formthe best deals on tartan fabric. I am a bit uneasy. I don't know why. Have any of the rabble shopped here or have an opinion? Thanks.

http://www.tartanonline.com/tartanonline/index.html
    The Official [BREN]

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm skeptical. Their price for twill weave is rather high compared with other sources, and they make no mention of the fabric being worsted, nor the weight. I would certainly ask some pointed questions before ordering, at the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 100% with you, David. Very sketchy-looking.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have sent a few emails there myself. First day I got a response from them with in 12hrs, which I thought was reasonable. The next question I had was answered by someone else 2 days later, and then they asked me to contact a different wholesaler. So I don't know if I was being difficult or what, but I was just asking the size of the setts. I sent back another email for clarification, but have not heard back from them yet, but it was a holiday weekend, so we will see if I get another response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what tartan you are looking for Eric, but your countrymen at Burnetts and Struth offer a limited range of tartans (the ones they have for their on sale casual kilts) at reduced prices ($50 per double width yard). If the tartan you are seeking is on their in stock list you are in luck! I would suggest getting a hold of Brandon at B&S and see what they may be able to do.

Best of luck!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for fabric suitable to use for a kilt. That is - worsted wool woven in a twill pattern, with a kilt selvedge, following the thread count of registered Tartans, in a good kilt weight - your really only looking at a hand-full of weaving companies.

Of these, Lochcarron is probably the largest. (As was mentioned, Burnett's & Struth, a forum advertiser, is Lochcarron Canada) They have 1500+ Tartans in 10oz, 450+ in 13oz and 750+ in 16oz in their stock list. Stock means that they weave it all the time and will usually have some sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Some of the other, better known names, are Marton Mills in Leeds, Strathmore, House of Edgar, N. Batley, and D.C. Dalgliesh (owned by ScotWeb). There is also Fraser & Kirkbright in Vancouver, BC and about 6 smaller weavers with one or two looms.

We all buy from the same few weavers. Our wholesale prices are all the same.

So the only difference is the retail markup we all charge. The retail markup is how we pay to keep the lights on and the doors open. Obviously an internet-only business run out of a garage, or small storage unit somewhere, will have less overhead than those of us with brick and mortar shops. But the smaller the operation, the less capital and space, so the less selection of in-stock fabrics at any one time. (heck, I usually only have 50 or 60 Tartans in four weights and a couple thousand yards of solid color fabrics on hand at any one time.)

Buying from any of the Mills will give you a quality fabric. The price will usually be only a dollar or two per yard difference.

When you count that the cost of your fabric is only half, or less, of the cost of a kilt, the one or two dollar difference is really small potatoes. Even the difference between 13oz and 16oz is only about 40-50 dollars per kilt.

My advice is go with the best quality fabric you can afford from the best weaver you can find. Buy direct from the weaver if you can. (almost all of them sell retail)
    Barring buying direct, contact almost any kiltmaker and they can order fabric for you.

I'm not trying to tell you not to buy from the place you found. If you like them, go for it. I'm just trying to give you some facts so you can make an informed decision.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Thanks, Wizard.
    The Official [BREN]

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems to be a retail front on Ingles Buchan,a well known company for producing mainly ligher weight tartan, but perfectly reasonable cloth.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I missed it, but i don't see anything about tartan weight nor about kilting selvedge. I'd want to know about both those things. And, if you were making a kilt, you wouldn't want the plain weave.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is "plain weave?"
    The Official [BREN]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast