X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wool and Black Powder Smoke

I have been told (at least twice) that the smoke from black powder is acidic and attacks the outer surfaces of woollen garments. Somehow the fibres are 'melted' together and harden and the whole surface stiffens up. The longer the exposure the harder the outer fabric becomes.

This, of course, would affect all involved in the action whether they were kilted or not, but I believe that it would affect the kilted regiments to a greater extent than the non-kilted regiments. The reason being that the outer layer of their kilts would become like cardboard and finally almost like thin planks of wood. The inside of the pleats would be unaffected. This would, of course, affect how the kilt moved afterwards.

So, this is my question. Well more than one actually. Could it be true? Is it possible? Would there be long term damage to the garment. Could it be rectified? Would there be a colour change? And finally, do we have any black powder users amongst the membership who could carry out an experiment with a piece of woollen cloth?

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd never heard this before. It would be interesting to know whether any surviving copies of military regulations regarding maintenance of one's uniform address this, since wool was so commonly used (and not just for kilts, or by Highland regiments) in "the black powder era".
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. I found that as I read your description I was picturing an experiment with a scrap piece of tartan! If it is true, wouldn't we expect to see regimental kilts of that era to be found stiff like you suggest? Are there any examples of the outcome you describe? Part of me wants to believe that a lack of evidence means that (at the very least) something can be done to treat the effects...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Tartan View Post
    Very interesting. I found that as I read your description I was picturing an experiment with a scrap piece of tartan! If it is true, wouldn't we expect to see regimental kilts of that era to be found stiff like you suggest? Are there any examples of the outcome you describe? Part of me wants to believe that a lack of evidence means that (at the very least) something can be done to treat the effects...
    It is acidic:
    SO2 + H2O -> H2SO4 (not balanced)

In my personal experience tartan wool was not effected by black powder smoke, though the situation in no way replicated the concentration that might have been found at say Waterloo or Quatre Bras. And i don't understand the hardening, I would think it would just eat away at the wool or leach the dyes. But I'm not a chemist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that kilts of the regiments would not be stiff or at least stiffer than usual. These were working garments and general walking. crawling, sleeping would create enough movement to break up the stiffness.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't know about its effect on wool, but black powder is indeed acidic (and very corrosive to metals). It was common practice to do thorough cleaning of any items that were dirtied by black powder residue, lest they be plagued by rust in short order. I would think that the rough usage of kilts during this period called for regular cleaning of them as well, even if it were only as simple as dunking it in water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seumasFinn View Post
    It is acidic:
    SO2 + H2O -> H2SO4 (not balanced)

. . .But I'm not a chemist.
    I'm not a chemist either but, sulfur being an essential component of black powder, I should have thought of that.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys,

I really don't know. I was on the outside of a conversation some 20+ years ago and I might have misunderstood completely. It has nagged me all this time and when this forum opened, I thought that it was high time that I asked someone.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any reenactors out there? While I have viewed and touched some uniforms from the American Civil War, it is impossible to tell whether the deterioration is just the effects of time or also exposure to black powder. However, many reproduction garments of Civil War, Revolutionary War, and Rendezvous reenactors are still made from wool and get a good dose of black powder smoke. Perhaps they could shed some light on this subject.
    Last edited by MNlad; 9th April 13 at 05:10 PM.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wool likes to be acidic.

For generations wool garments were washed - in an alkaline soap, admittedly, and then a cup of vinegar was added to the third or final rinse so as to leave it with a low pH.

There are some dyes which react to the pH of the fabric, and other things too. I remember one blue patterned skirt my mother had which changed colour when ironed. However, once the pH is corrected the colour should return to what it was.

Wool does dissolve in chlorine bleach, to be sure, it is how many knitters check the fibre content of unknown yarns from their stash.

Having been exposed to black powder smoke from Civil war re-enaction I don't recall any alteration in the feel of garments, and the colours were dull anyway, though of course we got rained on quite a lot so mostly what we felt was wet and cold but were we miserable - yes we were -

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    Last edited by Pleater; 9th April 13 at 05:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast