X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MizzouScotsman View Post
    As a side question, when did the dirk go out of style? Was it after Culloden?
    Yes, or at least not too long after that. At least it would be proper to say that they went out of style as weapons. A strong contributor was probably the growing popularity of the bayonet in military close-quarters confrontations.

There's a pretty good historic overview, with pics of dirk styles at different points in Scottish history, here:

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spot_dirks.html
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Harold Cannon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen several people who look quite well with a dirk in the day.

Two of the more famous examples are Raymond and Stuart Morris of Balgonie.

They wear the dirk quite a lot with daywear and formal wear, not just with the estate uniform as they are pictured here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit late with tjis thread but *** to the rabble's consensus. Don't wear your dirk. My personal preference is to never wear one. I don't wear a sgian dubh, either for the very same reasoning (kilts as part of functional dress rather than costume).

Also, *** regardinng dirks and bayonets. There seems to be a correlation between the rise of the bayonet and the decline of the dirk in Highland martial arts from that period.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MizzouScotsman View Post
    Some men I see have more things hanging off their kilt belts than I can name, flasks, dirks, multi-tools, etc. I'm not sure how their kilts aren't pulled down to their knees. Of course I've also seen the fairer sex wearing fairy wings at Highland games too..lol.
    Yup, IMHO it all goes together. Costume. I don't see so many dirks around here; mainly what I see is the wearing of wooden or pewter ale mugs on the belt. It's de rigeur for Renaissance faire costumes, and some people just can't help themselves by wearing it to the Highland Games too, even though it looks incredibly ridiculous.

Come to think of it, we just had our local annual Highland Games last weekend, and I can't say that I remember seeing any dirks, swords, or fairy wings. That's a pretty major departure from previous years where I feared this was going to become the norm. Thank goodness for small miracles.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    I'm a bit late with tjis thread but *** to the rabble's consensus. Don't wear your dirk. My personal preference is to never wear one. I don't wear a sgian dubh, either for the very same reasoning (kilts as part of functional dress rather than costume).
    Ah, I knew it wouldn't be long before this subject came up in this forum. Ye olde debate on the sgian dubh being functional versus costume/ornamentation.

I'll just share this story (which happened at the aforementioned Highland Games last weekend). I brought a buddy of mine who is from Manchester. He's got no Scottish roots, but just thought it would be fun to go and see if there was anything interesting. Well, as it so happened, we got hungry and I of course went for a bit of haggis and a Scotch egg (plus a Belhaven Scottish Ale with which to wash it down). He, on the other hand, wanted to try their bangers & mash. When we got our food and found a picnic table, he looked at his food with disgust, then pushed it over to me. What they sold him was not bangers - it was bratwurst! The horror! So he didn't want it. I, being the good friend that I am, told him I'd eat it for him. But they didn't have any knives to cut the sausages with. Luckily, I had a handy little knife in my hose that I had sharpened to near razor-sharpness. It was quite handy for slicing up my bratwurst to go with my haggis and Scotch egg.

Costume? I think not!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, here we are on the new Weapons as Kilt Accessories sub-forum and most of the responses could have been in the regular Kilt Accessories sub-forum. I'm going to try to get into the spirit of the new sub-fourm, though perhaps it is just my desire to play Devil's Advocate

The OP's question was, "is it appropriate today to wear a dirk on your belt?" In the context of this sub-forum, perhaps we can interpret that as a request for specific advice about when to wear a dirk, rather than a question about the general appropriateness of a dirk in THCD...

A dirk is quite an accessory and one that generally requires a context outside the ordinary or garden variety kilt-wearing occasions. Modern, civil society generally frowns upon wearing giant knives for no reason. If, however, there is a reason, then it is entirely acceptable. Furthermore, there are different types of dirks, each with different types of connotations as an accessory.

The ornate, jeweled variety are great for addressing the Haggis at an event and as part of a piper's uniform. I could also imagine one being worn on the type of occasion where a lot pomp an ceremony is required, such as when military folk would be wearing swords. In these cases, a dirk is a ritual or ceremonial implement and often looks like this:

A more rustic, functional dirk could be worn on any occasion where people wearing pants might have need of a big knife. Where I come from, this happens when people are out camping, hunting, hiking, or otherwise practicing bushcraft. If all your buddies are wearing bowie or hunting knives and you want a big knife that matches your kilt, maybe something like a Cold Steel dirk would do the trick:

I'm not as familiar with historical dirks, but if one is reenacting, then they should probably find one that is period appropriate. Perhaps someone else can help out with this one? Or what about about people involved in the recent movement to reconstruct Scottish martial arts? One might not wear their practice dirk on the way to the training hall, but while they are there, it would probably be a required item.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wear a sgian dubh, either for the very same reasoning (kilts as part of functional dress rather than costume).
    I can recall any number of instances where my sgian dubh came in very handy. (as in Tobus' example). It is not the least bit "costumy", but rather a common element of THCD. I can also think of many other parts of THCD which could hardly be considered "functional dress". No matter. Wear one or don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus and David Thorpe,
    Perhaps I jumped the proverbial gun on that one. I PERSONALLY do not find myself kilted in situations where a sgian dubh is necessary but others do. I never carry a pocket knife, either, though, as my daily routine doesn't require one. If I need to cut sonething I either go into my kitchen or use my shears in my office.

Different strikes for different folks.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus and David Thorpe,
    I PERSONALLY do not find myself kilted in situations where a sgian dubh is necessary but others do. I never carry a pocket knife, either, though, as my daily routine doesn't require one.
    This is the key for that debate. The gentlemen who carries a pocket knife in Saxon dress finds the sgian dubh as the appropriate replacement in Highland dress. The gentlemen who does not carry a pocket knife is inclined to see the sgian dubh as a peice of the costume (in either denotation or connotation).

Back to the topic of dirks, CMcG has the right of it. If you were attending the event in question, would you be carrying a large knife of non-Highland variety? If not, then why would you wear one in Highland dress? The only time I ever wore my dirk was as best man, and I will at my daughter's wedding, which is the only exception to this rule for me. Here, it is a symbol of the role being played in a older, more traditional way. (The Best man's duty was to protect the Bridegroom as he would be unarmed and/or exposed to attack during the ceremony. A father's duty is to protect his family.)
    Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another question I'd like to pose to the rabble. If attending a formal affair where veterans are expected to wear medals (miniature or otherwise) on their lapel, would a dress dirk be a reasonable addition?
    Member of SAMS Post 75 Minutemen
    "The old packs come together,Ties that fear cannot sever,Endeavour in pride to stand, In the Wolf Land, forever" -Bona Na Croin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast