X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harper View Post
    Hello, I'm new here. Sorry, I don’t know Rules 5 or 11 – but I hope I won’t cause offense by that ignorance. That said; here's my take on it:
    I cannae help but get my knickers right inna twist at hearing the word "inappropriate." The word conjures up images of purse-mouthed grannies clutching their pearls in horror at something or other. Near to that is my reaction to warnings about what people might think, might feel, might even (oh, horror of horrors!) say. I hate “inappropriate.” It says that there’s some background loathing that we all know about, but it would be terribly gauche to even mention it.
    That would be inappropriate.

Let me back up and make sure we’re talking about the same thing: the OP, way back on Page One, was about wearing the dirk. Not a word about drawing it or doing anything to scare anyone with it. Just wearing it.
    I was 17 – 35 years ago – when I was first exposed to a weapons culture – the SCA. Sharps were on everyone’s belt and the first thing all newbies were carefully taught is how not to look like a dick where weapons are concerned: you never touch anyone else’s weapon without prior spoken permission; you never draw any weapon in an offensive manner; you never draw it without letting the folks around you know about it; and you make sure that if you’re going to draw it that you’re not close to anyone except the person who has politely asked to see this wonderful work of art and craftsmanship. Most people can get all the admiring they need of your blade without the point ever clearing the scabbard. If you’re well away from people you might even allow the person to take it in hand to get the heft of it – but this is a favor too much to ask; it must be volunteered.
    I can recall no accidents with weapons from my time in the SCA. They just didn’t happen. And weapons were everywhere. They’re a vital part of the culture there – not as self-defense tools, obviously, there was never a need – but as a symbol that the person wearing it has the freedom, and may be expected, to respond with violence if attacked.
    So it gets right up my nose when I hear grown men not only voluntarily limiting their own freedom to go armed, but suggesting that others furl their colors as well – because of what someone about whom they know nothing might think about it.
    Now, I’m bang alongside expelling someone who draws a weapon stupidly and so endangers someone. But just wearing it? I like wearing it. When I’m at a Games or similar Celtic event it’s probably because I’ve been invited (by means of money) to play the Celtic Harp and sing some songs, maybe perform some stories from Celtic mythology or folklore. I’m a Harper. I never refer to the dirk on my belt. I also never refer to my shoelaces. They’re just there; no big deal. But yet, the sight of a good-quality dirk speaks volumes about my status, my station, and my self-respect.
    But, I’m from Iowa. You don’t hear much about how crazy Iowans are, because we’re not. Our law says that if you have a concealed-carry permit you may also carry weapons openly. I’ve stood in line at the gas station behind a man wearing a Beretta 92F with spare magazine on his belt - no jacket - and nobody made any big deal about it. There’s no big deal to be made unless someone draws it.
    So, my answer to the question on Page One about wearing the dirk?
    If you don’t want to wear one then don’t let anyone hang one on you. But if you do prefer to wear the dirk then don’t be a dick with it. Just wear it without ever drawing attention to it. It will surprise you how few people even notice that it's there. You have much more influence on people’s reactions to you by the way you act than by what’s on your belt. Just don’t act scary – it’s rude.
    As the wise man said, “freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.” If you’re behaving like a gentleman, then if someone just has to shriek and clutch her pearls it’s because she likes to and you can't stop her so, don't worry about it.
    The majority of the negative comments had nothing to do with a dirk being a longish pointy bit of steel and everything to do with dirks no longer
    being a part of accepted dress -- it is a very different argument, IMHO. And Renfaires are a different kettle of fish entirely, with different customs.
    The anti-dirk comments in this thread were much more about accepted standards of Scottish dress. (Not being argumentative, just trying to set
    the record straight.)

-Don

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Aussie_Don For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a couple of dirks. One is the regiment style that the drum majors wear at the games I've attended. I bought it on the cheap because I liked it. I even got all dressed up and wore it once to a reception.

the other is one of the ornate dirks with the little knife and fork and a jewel on top. It comes out every January to assault a haggis!

I mentioned wearing the first dirk only once. The fact is, it was a pain to keep out of the way. As a practical matter, I'll not likely ever wear one again just because I had to keep shifting it. Ha.

I confess, I like Dale's look in the photo, I just never did wear one.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes with Highland military uniform the dirk is part of the uniform (in certain orders of dress) and is required by regulation or custom; with historical re-enactors the dirk is part of the historical costume and required for period accuracy. With modern traditional civilian Highland dress, which only follows the dictates of fashion (its own internal sense of fashion, but fashion nonetheless) the wearing of a dirk has been out of mainstream fashion for around 100 years. This doesn't make the wearing of a dirk "wrong", just unfashionable.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 14th November 13 at 07:36 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567