X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some pleating examples

I have seen many drawings illustrating some of the ways to pleat a kilt.

I have never seen anyone actually pleat up a length of fabric to show the different ways as it would actually be.

I had some time so I took a leftover length of X Marks Tartan is did some samples for you.

Each of these examples use the exact same length of fabric. I hope this gives a better representation than a drawing.

Please note that I put a white line right on the edge. This was to make the pleats show up a bit better. I also doubled the fabric to give more thickness for this example.

Here are knife pleats to the Sett.

And knife pleats to the White Stripe.

Notice that pleating to the sett gives a slightly deeper pleat.

Here are normal box pleats. (to the yellow stripe)

This is the pleating style we use for a 4 yard box pleat kilt. (Far fewer layers of fabric than the knife pleats above)

And here are double box pleats.

Notice that the part of the pleat you see is much the same. However I used two Setts per pleat so this would give an 8 yard box pleated kilt.

And finally a Military box pleat. (again to the white stripe so you can compare this to the knife pleats above.)

I have an Royal Regt. of Scotland kilt in Black Watch here in the shop and this is exactly how this kilt is pleated.

I hope these examples help some of our members visualize all these terms we use and help them make a decision on their own kilts.

Please ignore the basting. I did this over a few days and did not want to loose my work so stitched everything down. I think it still looks good enough to give you an idea.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 8th December 13 at 05:20 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magnificent examples Steve, thanks for taking the time to provide them. I am sure that they will be most usefull to many members of the forum. Cheers
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are really great, thank you for the pictures. I've been considering the idea of trying my hand at making my own kilt.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo, Steve!

Very helpful for the newly unbifurcated.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravissimo!
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen the XMTS Tartan look so good! I didin't realise how much more striking it actually is with a grey-ish background to the vibrant blue and yellow and white - great shots of the pleating, I really like the 4 yard box pleating. Thanks for the very instructive photos.

Now for those barrell pleats! (Joke !)
    Kilt on with Confidence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is great! Thanks for the demonstration. Very clear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, this needs to be a "sticky." It's really the best comparison I've seen yet. Thanks!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grae View Post
    I have never seen the XMTS Tartan look so good! I didin't realise how much more striking it actually is with a grey-ish background to the vibrant blue and yellow and white - great shots of the pleating, I really like the 4 yard box pleating. Thanks for the very instructive photos.

Now for those barrell pleats! (Joke !)
    ***, Thanks for the pics, Great work. Time to start on my 4 yd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Steve. That's brilliant.

I'm dittoing the "this should be a sticky" sentiment. Also dittoing Artificer's bit about this being useful for "the newly unbifurcated" (I love that!), but adding that it's also useful as HELL for the long-time (or the occasionally) unbifurcated. Seeing the actual effect on fabric, right next to each other like that, is more useful than any number of carefully drawn diagrams.

I can see why a simple box pleat can be a good thing -- it may not have the flash and whooptie-doo of an 8-yard knife-pleated kilt, but you don't always have to be about the flash. Sometimes, you just want to WEAR a bloody kilt.

Again, thanks. Dang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast